Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignitor Unit removal...

Hi all,

I have a 81 GS550T and have figured out through the use of the Clymer manual that my ignitor unit is bad. I believe i have located it under the airbox housing even though the Clymer manual calls out under the battery box. What is the best way to remove the unit? I have tried long screwdriver between rear fender and metal plate. I am thinking the carbs have to come out for me to be able to actually remove the airbox housing. The reason i want to remove it because after WD-40, etc the screws wont budge. With the whole thing out i would be able to apply enough torque to get her out. And i have tried searching but no luck on how to get it out. Thanks

still need help...

Anybody...?

Come on, i read a whole bunch of posts with guys who have replaced them. I just need a little more info.

Comment

When i removed mine on my gs550, what i ended up doing was taking a electric drill, and drilling out the screws, in the bottom on the airbox... Standing above the bike, drilling down...Just remove the air filter element and you'll see them..

Then i just used two bolts i had in the garage to secure the unit back on.

I spent alomst an hour trying to get them out, and 30 seconds, drilling them out..

Good luck
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

I just got through drilling out those screws to get my ignitor out as well. Glad I'm not the only one who had to resort to that! I managed to get in there with a short stubby screwdriver after loosening the airbox and removing the battery and rear fender. But the screws were stuck pretty well and I couldn't get enough leverage to break 'em free.

Comment

Working...
        X