Reviving an 1980 GS450S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reviving an 1980 GS450S

This is sorta of a continuation of this thread, but I think this forum is more appropriate.

The deal is I bought a complete 80 GS450S about a week ago and I got the engine unstuck.

I just won an ebay auction for a working front brake system.

I have a new battery, but not installed yet

New oil and filter ready to change it.

I just pulled the carbs off and plan to go through them tommorrow morning. I am going to assume I will need the o-rings, but I don't know about needing carb kits. I will find out soon enough.

Can some one lead me to the source for the o-rings.

Also have never taken motorcycle carbs aparts before. Some tips would be great.

Thanks, Allen

Use the search feature to search for posts by me - You'll learn plenty that way alone. Then there's posts by others who've got the GS450 that you can learn from.

Comment

Originally posted by katoranger
      This is sorta of a continuation of this thread, but I think this forum is more appropriate.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=89092

The deal is I bought a complete 80 GS450S about a week ago and I got the engine unstuck.

I just won an ebay auction for a working front brake system.

I have a new battery, but not installed yet

New oil and filter ready to change it.

I just pulled the carbs off and plan to go through them tommorrow morning. I am going to assume I will need the o-rings, but I don't know about needing carb kits. I will find out soon enough.

Can some one lead me to the source for the o-rings.

Also have never taken motorcycle carbs aparts before. Some tips would be great.

Thanks, Allen
      There is a guy by the name of Robert Barr that frequents here that can supply the o-rings. As for the carbs just be careful and take them apart in a place to where if something small gets dropped you can find it easily. Synching the carbs on a two cylinder bike is easy. Just let the bike run on one cylinder at a time by removing a plug cap to adjust the mixture and idle. Adjust the mixture screw for the highest, smoothest idle you can get then use the idle adjuster so they both idle at the same rpm. You probably just have one carb with an individual adjuster and the other just works off the throttle stop. Start with the carb with no idle adjuster and use the thrttle stop to get the rpm up enough so the bike runs at high enough revs so it doesn't stall.

Comment

Thanks, Robert is the one I was thinking of. I have seen post in the past about him. Thanks for the carb sync tip. I am also looking at a Mercury carb sync tool so that I can sync my radian also. It needs new carb boots.

I also use soda flats when I go through my mower carbs. But old cookie sheets work for holding stuff together.

Thanks, Allen

Comment

Heh, there aren't too many innards for the carbs (lucky us with just 2 ). Just keep the parts from the 2 seperate and you're good to go. I worked them one at a time was easier to keep parts seperate. Also if I got lost I could backtrack from the other if I needed to. A parts diagram wouldn't hurt either, just in case.

I was able to pick up a parts fische for the 1980 450 E&S. Been VERY useful.

Comment

That is a good idea one at a time. I only have one cookie sheet to use. I sent an email to Robert about getting a set of orings for the twin and not a 4.

I will replace the manifold orings will I am in there. Eliminate possible tuning issues.

I don't see it being much more than a lawnmower carb.

I am bidding on some cylmer manuals on ebay right now.

Thanks, Allen

Comment

You can find a carb clean-up series on the site's homepage. It will help guide you if you get stumped.

Comment

I just finished looking through the carb cleanup pages. That should help me greatly. I did spray some carb cleaner on the slides and some penetrating oil on the screws and choke linkages before i left for work today.

I will be ordering a set of orings.

Where can I buy the carb dip? Is it really necessary or is carb cleaner and a using the "special tool" good.

Thanks, Allen

Comment

I just finished looking through the carb cleanup pages. That should help me greatly. I did spray some carb cleaner on the slides and some penetrating oil on the screws and choke linkages before i left for work today.

I will be ordering a set of orings.

Where can I buy the carb dip? Is it really necessary or is carb cleaner and a using the "special tool" good.

Thanks, Allen
                  Just be careful with rubber parts and any kind of cleaner. You can get the dip type cleaner at most auto parts.

Comment

That is what I was thinking. Autozone or Napa probably carries it. I plan to follow the carb cleanup instructions and have everything plastic or rubber removed before the dipping.

Thanks, Allen

Comment

its actually pretty easy. I had never take apart carbs before, but I had no problem with my GS400 carbs. Now taking apart the carbs on my V45 Sabre, thats a whole different story (i took the linkages apart and everything... big mistake)

Comment

These look to be alittle more involved than I am use to, but it should be okay. I have plenty to work on while parts soak in carb bath.

Allen

Comment

How about tires for this thing?

The stockers are 3x18 front and 3.5x18 rear. I searched ebay for some new ones, but haven't found anything I what to pay for yet.

I really need to know what metric sizes to look for. I think this translates to a 90/90 and a 110/90. I have found alot of 120/90 or 80 and a some 130/70, but I don't know if these fit.

Allen

Comment

The stockers are 3x18 front and 3.5x18 rear. I searched ebay for some new ones, but haven't found anything I what to pay for yet.

I really need to know what metric sizes to look for. I think this translates to a 90/90 and a 110/90. I have found alot of 120/90 or 80 and a some 130/70, but I don't know if these fit.

Allen
                            http://www.dansmc.com/tirespecs1.htm

Comment

Do the GS450s use tubes or tubeless? I didn't look while I was working on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X