78 GS750 Carbs (second post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS750 Carbs (second post)

Sorry I posted this in the wrong place earlier, for those who replied...thanks.

I can't find any info on adjusting the Mikuni carbs on my 78. Now, I'm just a backyard yahoo trying to adjust my carbs and would like some help on the proper settings. There is, what I beleive, an air screw on the top and a fuel screw behind the bowl, I've been told by the local dealer that there should only be one or the other, his parts cat. shows only the top one.
    Any way, does any one know approximatly how many turns out I should have on each? Or should I just take it to the dealer and have them adjust them?

Originally posted by SecondGS
    Sorry I posted this in the wrong place earlier, for those who replied...thanks.

I can't find any info on adjusting the Mikuni carbs on my 78. Now, I'm just a backyard yahoo trying to adjust my carbs and would like some help on the proper settings. There is, what I beleive, an air screw on the top and a fuel screw behind the bowl, I've been told by the local dealer that there should only be one or the other, his parts cat. shows only the top one.
    Any way, does any one know approximatly how many turns out I should have on each? Or should I just take it to the dealer and have them adjust them?
    Go back to your other thread you started. I posted specs that are available in the archive section. A thread was started quite some time ago dealing with this. I know the specs were for an 850 but they should get you close. You might also edit your title to this thread and include something in it like, "Attn: Keith Krause."

Comment

Post this in the tech section if you want answers. You do indeed have a fuel and an air screw on the VM carbs you have. The dealer doesn't know what he's talking about. The CV carbs on later models only had a fuel screw. Keith Krause or Earl Formes is who you really want advice from on this. Earl is usually online more than Keith and uses the handle earlfor. Keith isn't here quite as much.

Comment

Originally posted by SecondGS
        Post this in the tech section if you want answers. You do indeed have a fuel and an air screw on the VM carbs you have. The dealer doesn't know what he's talking about. The CV carbs on later models only had a fuel screw. Keith Krause or Earl Formes is who you really want advice from on this. Earl is usually online more than Keith and uses the handle earlfor. Keith isn't here quite as much.

Comment

My 79 750E ran best (stock airbox and exhaust) with the airscrews out 1 3/4 to 2 turns and the pilot fuel screws out 1 1/4 turns.

Earl
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Thanks guys I'll give that a try.
            It runs strong on the highway, but it bogs when snapping the throttle or accelerating fast. Slow acceleration is ok.
            It has OEM exhaust and airbox.

Comment

The VM Carb rebuild article in the GS Garage (see home page) also has some basic tuning information gleaned from searching posts on the forum.

The pilot air screws (the ones on the top/side) should be set while the engine is idling for maximum engine speed - they generally end up 1-1/4 to 2 turns out.

The pilot fuel screws (the ones on the bottom by the bowl) are set by reading the plugs after running at very low throttle openings. They generally end up 3/4 to 1-1/4 turns out.

Comment

Working...
              X