Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About to try to fire up my bike after its been sitting for years...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to try to fire up my bike after its been sitting for years...

So I think I have the bike almost ready to fire. Its been sitting for years. I pulled the carbs apart, and they are soaking now. They were full of a black varnish, and seized up. Should be good now. Tank is cleaned out, oil is drained, etc. I need some info that I didnt get in the service manual, since its not for my model of bike for some reason.

Just...
    What is the spark plug gap?
    How much oil does it hold?
    Anyone have a wiring diagram? A bunch of wires are disconnected.

My manual doesnt cover the GS450, just the earlier models. For references, its a 1981 GS450E.

Anything else I need to check before I try to start it?

Originally posted by Moloko
    So I think I have the bike almost ready to fire. Its been sitting for years. I pulled the carbs apart, and they are soaking now. They were full of a black varnish, and seized up. Should be good now. Tank is cleaned out, oil is drained, etc. I need some info that I didnt get in the service manual, since its not for my model of bike for some reason.

Just...
    What is the spark plug gap?
    How much oil does it hold?
    Anyone have a wiring diagram? A bunch of wires are disconnected.

My manual doesnt cover the GS450, just the earlier models. For references, its a 1981 GS450E.

Anything else I need to check before I try to start it?
    Spark plug gap = .6-.7mm
    Oil = Will say on the engine, next to the cap.

I have a wiring diagram, but have no way to scan it. I've got to scan another manual for a friend, so if you can wait a day or so, I can get it to you.

Have you done anything to the engine? Would be a good idea to remove the plugs and pour a little Marvel Mystery Oil down there and rock the bike back and forth with it in 2nd or 3rd.

Comment

Is there anyway to turn the motor over without engaging the transmission? Right now its stuck in gear, and the clutch requires 2 hands to depress, and even then its hard, so I'm pretty sure something is messed up in the transmission, or possibly just a bit rusted. I want to see if the motor ran first before getting too involved.

Also.. two head nuts are missing. I know where they went... they are on the guys Honda Odyssey that sold it to me. Is there any fear of it leaking since its been partially detorqued, or will I be ok just putting the two missing nuts back on?

Comment

Originally posted by Moloko
        Is there anyway to turn the motor over without engaging the transmission? Right now its stuck in gear, and the clutch requires 2 hands to depress, and even then its hard, so I'm pretty sure something is messed up in the transmission, or possibly just a bit rusted. I want to see if the motor ran first before getting too involved.

Also.. two head nuts are missing. I know where they went... they are on the guys Honda Odyssey that sold it to me. Is there any fear of it leaking since its been partially detorqued, or will I be ok just putting the two missing nuts back on?
        Head nuts or valve cover? If it is head nuts don't start it that way. You should be able to slip it into neutral without the clutch. The cable itself is probably rusted to the point it won't slide in its housing. You can bypass the the need to have the clutch lever pulled in by either getting into the headlight bucket and disconnecting the two wires that run to the clutch switch and plugging those wires into each other where they come out of the main harness or run a straight pin through both of them at the lever to provide a connection.

Comment

Your clutch plates must be seized. They most likely will snap free when you start the bike, hopefully with no ill effects to the starter clutch...

You can start it on the centerstand and after it gets going, try to bang it into neutral. You may have to jumper the starter relay if your bike has a saftey switch with the gear indicator.

Sounds like the bike needs a little more attention. No sense in starting up the bike if the clutch is so trashed you can't ride it. If you just wanna see how the motor runs, take the chain off.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro

You can start it on the centerstand and after it gets going, try to bang it into neutral. You may have to jumper the starter relay if your bike has a saftey switch with the gear indicator.
            Don't do that.

You should be able to shift without the clutch with the bike off. Just roll it back till it starts, then forward a bit and shift down.. repeat.

If you can't budge it. Take the chain off.

Comment

I wasnt going to start it without the head nuts. I meant can I just replace the two missing nuts (on passenger side), or do I have to do the head gasket now?

Can you explain better how to shift it into neutral by pushing it? I know it would'nt go in sitting still, we tried.

Comment

Working...
              X