Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driving today and front sprocket nut fell off, how do i ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving today and front sprocket nut fell off, how do i ....

.... tighten it to spec without rotating the tranny? I tried putting it in gear and when i really start to crank on it the tranny spins.

Originally posted by gotjeepzj
    .... tighten it to spec without rotating the tranny? I tried putting it in gear and when i really start to crank on it the tranny spins.
    Put it in gear and press down on the rear brake. Between the tranny and the brake the shaft won't rotate.

Comment

BTW, there should be a large flat washer behind the nut that is slotted to fit in the output shaft splines. After tightening the nut you bend it over to keep the nut from spinning off.

Comment

I dont know what model bike you have but on my 1980 750L there is no lockwasher on it the manual says use Loctite blue (so far so good and with the blue i can still get the nut off) With abreaker bar anyway!!!

Comment

Originally posted by graham harron
          I dont know what model bike you have but on my 1980 750L there is no lockwasher on it the manual says use Loctite blue (so far so good and with the blue i can still get the nut off) With abreaker bar anyway!!!
          A few people here have talked about using Nylok nuts. I'd like to know where they found them.

Comment

I have no locking device at all. I'm suprised there's no hole through the splined shaft with a cotter pin or such.

edit: FYI it's a 1979 gs1000L

Comment

I have no locking device at all. I'm suprised there's no hole through the splined shaft with a cotter pin or such.

edit: FYI it's a 1979 gs1000L
              You should have....#43

Comment

Originally posted by graham harron
                You should too.....parts#46, 47, 48

Comment

Heres what I do....Take a metal bar (copper is preferred) and place it between the front of the swing arm and about 2 o'clock (if your facing it) on the sprocket. Torque away......BadBillyB

Comment

I don't have a 43, I'll check but I don't remember seeing a 41 either. What size is the nut? I need to buy a socket for it. I could remove it with a large crescent and brint the nut up to autozone.

Comment

I don't have a 43, I'll check but I don't remember seeing a 41 either. What size is the nut? I need to buy a socket for it. I could remove it with a large crescent and brint the nut up to autozone.
                      41 is a bushing that fits inside the case. It's got to be there or your sprockets would ride up against the case.

Comment

My nut doesn't look like that either. Mine has what I thought was a built in washer but now I'm thinking it's #43. The reason I thought I didn't have a #41 is because in my clymer's it's states when replacing the sprocket make sure to slide the spacer #41 on before installing the sprocket.

Comment

I took it off. It has a funny looking nut:-D Yhe threads are recessed on the back side. The last thread on the front side is a thinner than the others and isn't the same metal either. I'm wondering if this is some sort of locking mechanism.

Comment

I took it off. It has a funny looking nut:-D Yhe threads are recessed on the back side. The last thread on the front side is a thinner than the others and isn't the same metal either. I'm wondering if this is some sort of locking mechanism.
                            That's about what mine looked like before I stripped it and had to replace it with a Kawasaki piece because that's all I could find.

Comment

For those who care it's 1 1/4". The thinner metal ring on the outer most part of the nut is pressed in. It's not part of the nut. I also noticed it screwed in really easy until it hit those outer threads. So whomever put this on knew to use a locking thread nut. I went ahead and used loctite blue and tightened it to 62 ft lbs. I'll let it dry tonight and take it for a spin tommorrow. I've only taken the bike for about 5 decent rides since I bought it and it's broke down twice. Once due to points and this was the other. I'll be [-o< I don't have anymore issues. $65 a tow is getting expensive and gas at $2.79 ain't helping either. Thanks for the help everyone.
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2006, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X