Carbs...need help finding high performance ones for my bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs...need help finding high performance ones for my bike

Ok...I'm sure that some of your performance junkies will love this question:

My 1980 GS1100E has stock carbs on them. Eventually, I'd like to kick it up a notch and put better ones on them. Can you guys tell me what are some good options? What would be the BEST set of carbs that my bike will take? How about a set that isn't the best, but pretty damn good (i.e. on the less expensive side) carbs.

Thanks!

Rudi
    San Antonio, TX

Rudi get a set of RS36 Mukuni's you can get a good used set for around $350.oo they are very ez to tune

Comment

EBAY!

Comment

I agree, Mikuni RS36 Flatslides.

Comment

the 36's sound good, you might also contact Scotty, he is currently in the process of going to semi-flat slides and could probably give you some good tips.

Comment

wow

I don't know the significance of "semi-flat sided" carbs. Can someone briefly explain that to me? :-)

One more thing...what kind of performance/gas mileage improvements could I expect with the RS36 Mukuni's?

Thanks!!

Comment

I too agree, Mikuni RS36 Flatslides. You should get 'kick in the butt, hang on tight' performance. Gas mileage will probably go down a little.

Comment

oh...

Are there a wide array of choices? I mean, are there many different carbs that would fit my bike.

what if I was aiming at getting the highest gas mileage possible. Are there a set of carbs out there that would help me acheive that?

Likewise, if all I was aiming for was max horsepower...would those RS36 Mukuni's be the BEST choice?

Comment

Re: oh...

Originally posted by Rudi
                  Are there a wide array of choices? I mean, are there many different carbs that would fit my bike.

what if I was aiming at getting the highest gas mileage possible. Are there a set of carbs out there that would help me acheive that?

Likewise, if all I was aiming for was max horsepower...would those RS36 Mukuni's be the BEST choice?

I may have missed thr information but what type of exhaust system do you have or are you planning to put on that willmake your carb modification worth the effort

Comment

slopoke...

slopoke,

I plan on getting a set of Vance & Hines PCO (Pro-Competition Series) exhaust system on my bike.

I understand that by going to a 4in1 system (vs. my stock 4in2) will increase the power a bit...and give me better gas mileage.

Is this correct? Secondly, what set of carbs would be a perfect pairing with these Vance & Hines pipes?

Thanks!

Rudi [img][/img][img][/img]

Comment

Re: slopoke...

Originally posted by Rudi
                      slopoke,

I plan on getting a set of Vance & Hines PCO (Pro-Competition Series) exhaust system on my bike.

I understand that by going to a 4in1 system (vs. my stock 4in2) will increase the power a bit...and give me better gas mileage.

Is this correct? Secondly, what set of carbs would be a perfect pairing with these Vance & Hines pipes?

Thanks!

Rudi
                      are those the same pipes tha i have on my bike-- if they are ill tell you the mistakes i made..

the shape is what i refer to--the systems are the same design

Comment

what mistakes?

What mistakes did you make with these pipes? Don't they fit the GS1100E perfectly?

Rudi

Comment

Mikuni RS36's aren't made anymore?

I just checked the Mikuni Website ,http://www.mikuni.com/fs-carburetor.html, and I don't see the RS36 model. It appears they have newer versions...would those work on my bike?

Rudi

Comment

Rudi , I dont know much ( if anything ) about motorcycle carbs but that competition exaust with the short fat header pipes is going to hurt your bottom end and midrange performance , Gas mileage and "seat of the pants" performance will suffer
                            check out the supersport exaust http://www.vanceandhines.com/pages/SSuperS.html.
                            the header pipes are longer and not as fat , this aids velocity which is better for street performance.
                            Or if you want the styling thees would be better
                            http://www.vanceandhines.com/pages/SChrome.html.
                            The shape and type of muffler will not matter but the header pipes do.
                            Engine tuning is all about combination get it wrong and everything suffers.

Dave

Comment

they make a competition baffel for the headder which i found to solve the low end problem and then when you want all out performaance, you just remove the baffel. I now run with the megaphone open all the time and after tweaking the carbs properly the low end diference is not a problem. the exhaust style that you have chosen should fit your bike perfectly --the style i used with the large bends in the pipes forced me to bob the front fender and put a 16 inch wheel on the front end. The carbs should follow the exhaust installation . i dont like doing too many mods at once because the tweaking that is necessary can discourage you.. As for carbs, the advice given you was definitely good but in my opinion if you do the exhaust first thrn you can go to bigger carbs after getting some carb tuning experience with your stock carbs
                              There are alwaysa some good deals on carbs on ebay also. but the carbs like you are talking about are suposed to be the best. I couldnt aford them so i bought a set of semi flats from ebay for 90 dollars and i spent another 90 to buy the necessary junk to adapt them .

Comment

Working...
                              X