Carbs...need help finding high performance ones for my bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man...

Man, I've got a lot to learn about carbs and exhaust systems!!!

Dave, the only problem with those V&H Supersport pipes is they don't make 'em for my bike!!! The Super Chrome pipes, however, would fit my bike. But I really want the higher performance.

Somebody PLEASE tell me I can get a HIGH performance pipe on my 1980 GS1100E!!!

Comment

Re: Man...

Originally posted by Rudi
      Man, I've got a lot to learn about carbs and exhaust systems!!!

Dave, the only problem with those V&H Supersport pipes is they don't make 'em for my bike!!! The Super Chrome pipes, however, would fit my bike. But I really want the higher performance.

Somebody PLEASE tell me I can get a HIGH performance pipe on my 1980 GS1100E!!!
      Have you looked at other manufacturers or on ebay??

One possibility http://www.supertrapp.com/Motorcycle...leatv_page.htm

here is something but i cant understand what they are selling

Log onto ebay and use this search--then save it and look every motning and evening

Comment

I'm looking

I'm looking at other manufacturers right now. I'm just getting familiar with some of the name brands...Kerker, V&H's, Two-Bro's, etc. I've noticed that not all of them sell street legal pipes. I better be careful with that.

So far, it appears that Vance & Hines has the best selection for my bike. I haven't given Ebay a chance, yet. but I suppose it would be a good idea. Either way, I would want NEW pipes.

Comment

Rudi , The Chrome Megaphone pipe looks to have a part number for your GS. The styling is nice and I think they will give your street bike a better performance increase than the Drag pipes.
          Its sort of the same principal as running a tunnel ram manifold on a V*8 , guys can tune the carbs to make them work on the street but a single 4barrell will be less stress and out perform a tunnel ram in street applications. Same as those pipes the short fat headers are designed to lift high rpm full throttle performance , great for the Drags but they sacrifice low and midrange rpm performance which is realy what you want on the street.
          Why not E mail the manufacturer being honest about what you are trying to achieve performance wise and see what they recommend.

Dave

Comment

Scotty, those are fork tubes

Comment

thanks--my eyes are getting worse all the ime--I actully though they might be selling stock to bend up your own hedders.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiXr
                Rudi , The Chrome Megaphone pipe looks to have a part number for your GS. The styling is nice and I think they will give your street bike a better performance increase than the Drag pipes.
                Its sort of the same principal as running a tunnel ram manifold on a V*8 , guys can tune the carbs to make them work on the street but a single 4barrell will be less stress and out perform a tunnel ram in street applications. Same as those pipes the short fat headers are designed to lift high rpm full throttle performance , great for the Drags but they sacrifice low and midrange rpm performance which is realy what you want on the street.
                Why not E mail the manufacturer being honest about what you are trying to achieve performance wise and see what they recommend.

Dave
                Great info, Dave! I think I like the look of those Super Chrome pipes from V&H's anyway. And if it will give me better "street" performance...then those are the ones I'll get.

Thx!

Rudi

Comment

Rudi! the picture of the pipe I saw on your post is generally used only for dragracing. It sits very low to the ground and will almost certainly affect your right turn ground clearance.You need something with more of an upsweep to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Tate
                    Rudi! the picture of the pipe I saw on your post is generally used only for dragracing. It sits very low to the ground and will almost certainly affect your right turn ground clearance.You need something with more of an upsweep to it.
                    On those pipes
                    I just wanted to comment that i run them on my 1100ed and originally had trouble with them draggind but only after i lowered the bike 1&1/2 inches in the rear..After making my own rear megaphone bracket i dont ever drag the pipes any more(((however i am the worst twistie driver on the website and only do turns that require a small amount of leaning over.))

Comment

I just went out and measured the clearance of the megaphone to the pavement and its 4 and 7/8 inches when the bike is upright. I weigh 250 pounds and the rear shocks are from a 750 i think. they are much weaker than the standard 1100e shocks

Comment

Slowpoke, can you please answer a question for me? Are the 34 mm carbs interchangeable with 36 mm carbs between GS models? Mikuni, or do they have to be adapted?

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightRider
                          Slowpoke, can you please answer a question for me? Are the 34 mm carbs interchangeable with 36 mm carbs between GS models? Mikuni, or do they have to be adapted?
                          nothing just goes into place but if you get a set of carbs from an 1150, i think the choke cable will marry up and the throttle also--the manifolds from ther carbs to the engine usually can fit by heating them or applying some hot water to allow them to stretch over the engine side of the 36mm carbs--the air box may be the problem inless you intend to run pods. I like the air box with some mods to make it fit--nothing is plug and play-it's Murphys law.. Others will add to this reply to help you more

Comment

Working...
                          X