Wheres the vibration coming from???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheres the vibration coming from???

i have checked every nut and bolt on the bike and im getting a little vibration and cant figure it out!The only thing I've done latley is a new reg/rec and highway pegs..I took the pegs off thinking that was it but I was wrong.Any help would be thankfull. ps.i have checked the swing arm bushings and the forks,everthing seems finein those areas.

Yup, join the club. I have remounted my engine, changed the steering and wheel bearings, and checked every nut and bolt as well. I have numb hands after a half hour.

Have you synched your carbs recently? They can go out of adjustment over time. It helped a little for me. Also check wheel balance- it doesn't seem like it could cause that kind of high frequency engine-like vibration, but it also helped a little for me.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
      Yup, join the club. I have remounted my engine, changed the steering and wheel bearings, and checked every nut and bolt as well. I have numb hands after a half hour.

Have you synched your carbs recently? They can go out of adjustment over time. It helped a little for me. Also check wheel balance- it doesn't seem like it could cause that kind of high frequency engine-like vibration, but it also helped a little for me.
      Most GS models are buzzy. There is a device called a BarSnake that deadens most of the buzz.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2006, 10:38 PM.

Comment

http://www.barsnake.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
          Most GS models ar buzzy. There is a device called a BarSnake that deadens most of the buzz.
          Yup, got one. And bar end weights. The right hand gets numb, the left doesn't as much. I'm gonna get one of those throttle rockers this year and see if that helps me relax the right hand enough to avoid numbness.
          Currently bikeless
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I ride a 550 so I know all about vibration. The bar snake looks interesting.

Got a right hand throttle rocker. My first impression was that it was in the way most of the time and interfered with the brake. I have L-style pull-back bars so I don't know how effective it would be on standard bars. But after using it for a few days and adjusting the location I can't live without it. I found that putting it in the outermost grip position works best for me. If I need to use the brakes I move my hand in on the grip to take my palm off the rocker and get it on the grip to pull the brakes. It takes a little practice so you should be conservative with your stopping until you have it down. The first thing I do now when I get on a state road or highway is adjust my rocker so that my palm rests at the desired throttle range. It's almost second nature now. I can still feel a little vibration in my fingers but the wrist soreness is completely gone (since I am on the keyboard at work most of the day, this is a big deal). I am thinking of getting one for the left grip too.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
              Most GS models are buzzy. There is a device called a BarSnake that deadens most of the buzz.
              Whoa! That's news to me. The handlebars on my bike are dead still at freeway speed.

When one of you figures out what it is, let me know so I can avoid it

Comment

Originally posted by flyingace
                Whoa! That's news to me. The handlebars on my bike are dead still at freeway speed.

When one of you figures out what it is, let me know so I can avoid it
                Mine isn't buzzy either but many do complain about it. I don't use bar end weights or anything.

Comment

Try riding an old Twin if you think yours vibrates. I have riden lots of miles on Triumph & Norton MC YOU are griping the bar too hard Try and relax

Comment

It wasnt like this a month ago.i can watch the left carb body move back and forth a little and feel it in the handle bars when I ride .It use to be dead still with no vibs.Could valve or cam end play cause this.I will start it up saturday and check into it more.I havent done a valve clearance or carb sync cause is runs great.kOn of the mount nuts stripped,the teardrop looking ones, and I replace it with a bolt and lockwasher but it is tight.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                      Try riding an old Twin if you think yours vibrates. I have riden lots of miles on Triumph & Norton MC YOU are griping the bar too hard Try and relax
                      True, it's not as bad as an old Scrambler. Even some new bikes I have ridden have had just as bad of a buzz. Oh, and you have to hold the bar tight when you actually lean it over, Lynn!\\/
                      Currently bikeless

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                        Got that beat. Try a three day ride on a BSA 440 Victor. Ouch! I was too young to know any better.

Comment

Working...
                        X