Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing an 1100 head gasket question

Hey guys,
    Can a GS1100E's head gasket be replaced while the engine remains in the frame? Thanks,
    Rich

Yes!!! you can strip the camcover, cylinder head, & cylinder block off without removing the entire engine.
    Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
      Yes!!! you can strip the camcover, cylinder head, & cylinder block off without removing the entire engine.
      Dink

Thanks for the info dude!!

Comment

I am following up this issue. I have an oil leak when I first fire up my bike. The oil is NOT seeping from the head gasket, BUT it is however dripping right below the head of the single 6mm "inverted" bolt in the front of the engine (right between the 2 center exhaust pipes. The oil leak will stop after a few minutes. I also notice blue smoke from my exhaust for about a minute or two, that also goes away. Do you guys think I need intake valve seals?

Comment

Getting the head off with the lump in the frame is easy. As for the oil leak on the gasket it could be a number of things. Gasket failure, head not torqued down correct, warped head etc.
          If the gasket is leaking out it may also be leaking in to the engine at the same time.
          Get the spanners out, whip the head off and have a look. Valve guide seals are cheap and easy to replace if you have a valve spring compressor tool. If your've going that far why not have a look at the valves and how they are seating.
          Beware, what you start off thinking is only a small job can become a major overhaul!

Suzuki mad
          1981 GS1000E 250 miles in the last 3 days
          1983 GSX1100ESD still in lots of bits.

Comment

Well my suspicion is confirmed. I have a blown head gasket. %$#@$ ! I start my bike and it blows a healthy dose of blue smoke for a few minutes, and now i see some oil drips from my exhaust joint underneath my bike. A 9 month restoration, and 15 mi. into my FIRST ride, I spit a gasket. I have all the top end gaskets/valve seals on order. Interestingly, Suzuki has a new superceeded p/n. The gasket price was originally about $38, now its $74 !!! I am thinking Suzuki has updated the material of the gasket. Generally speaking when Suzuki superceedes a p/n, it means something was changed pyhsically with the part. Dam, I am so pi$$ed, and frustrated. Other than that, it runs great.

Comment

Anything can happen at any time!

Just a question for you, what have you done on your restoration as far as engine work? You know these bikes are notorious for needing the head re-tourqed every couple thousand miles- did you check the valve clearance and re-torque the head? Have you checked the cam chain for stretch (wear)?

Did you order your head gasket yet? I have one I would sell.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                Anything can happen at any time!

Just a question for you, what have you done on your restoration as far as engine work? You know these bikes are notorious for needing the head re-tourqed every couple thousand miles- did you check the valve clearance and re-torque the head? Have you checked the cam chain for stretch (wear)?

Did you order your head gasket yet? I have one I would sell.
                All's I did with the engine was pull the valve cover and check the valves. My engine is original, bone stock, and currently has a blown h/g. I have all the top end gaskets on order, so I am all set, keep yours, you will probably need it someday if your luck is as bad as mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam
                  All's I did with the engine was pull the valve cover and check the valves. My engine is original, bone stock, and currently has a blown h/g. I have all the top end gaskets on order, so I am all set, keep yours, you will probably need it someday if your luck is as bad as mine.
                  Yeah, I've been through two of 'em between the two bikes. Whenever you have the rocker cover off, loosen then re-torque the head. Good insurance. Actually, I believe the service manual has the same interval for valve gapping and the re-torque??
                  Last edited by Jethro; 04-09-2006, 04:14 PM.
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                  X