strangeness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strangeness

alright, so last saturday I got caught in some pretty heavy rain for about 10 minutes. I noticed near the end of the ride the bike was having abit of a problem idling. I didnt really think anything of it just thought it was the air. For a while my chain has been loose, just realized this yesterday.

So I ride the bike monday and its still having problems idling. I give it a bit of gas and it jumps to 3k PRM, its very tough to get it to run at 1500 or so, It just jumps down to very low idle and eventually dies. I was planning on taking the bike apart and checking the valve clearance and the chain eventually, so monday night I did that. I only have a .038 mm feeler guage and it didnt fit in any of them except for #4 Exhaust. I decided Ill order a suzuki feeler guage set and to the clearance adjustment later. I noticed the #4 carb and a bit of a dark spot around the bottom of the throttle plate and a black smudgy part in the entrance of it, not sure what that came from. Put it all back together with some new oil and started it. Chain is much better but it still runs strange like it used to. This only started after I rode it in the rain. Did a compression test, and #3 was pretty low.

So It possibly being many things has confused me. Is it possible that if the chain jumped a tooth it would make it low on one cylinder only? Im going to do a leakdown test when I get home to further diagnose it.

sorry if my post is a bit scatter brained, im a bit confused here. the bike is a 82 GS1100 GK without all the stuff that makes it ok to ride in the rain like fairing, windshiled, and fender

Do you have pod filters or the stock air box? My Fathers CB750 with K+N pods would have a tendancy to suck in water during a hard rain storm. It would run like crap for a while after.

Comment

Your best indicator is your plugs. Take them out and look at them - what color are they, are they wet/oily, black/sooty, dry/tan? Are all plugs the same, if not, describe each. This really helps others diagnose problems.

Comment

stock airbox

the #3 was more black than the others, but none of them looked wet, generally looked fine.

Comment

Originally posted by RotaryRodder
          stock airbox

the #3 was more black than the others, but none of them looked wet, generally looked fine.
          It is possible water got into the #3 carb via the pilot air screw (on top near intake mainfold). This was a common occurance around here, but usually with the #4 carb. The water causes corrosion in the spring since it tends to pool in the opening. The corrosion plugs the pilot air circuit and bingo - black/sooty plug with a bike that idles poorly.

You can clean out this circuit without removing the carbs. Just remove the screw and blow some carb cleaner thru that openings. Just measure how many turns from the closed the screw is before you remove it.

I can't say for certain this is the problem. However, one plug that's black and sooty does indicate a problem with that carb.

Comment

just counted the chain links.

from the mark on the intake cam (points to a pin) as #1, #19 is on the mark on the exhaust cam.... thats not right is it?

a related question, could that possibly only affect one cylinder's compression?

Comment

Low compression, you could have a valve that's too tight holding the valve(s) open. ill look when i get home about the links, i think 20 pins mark to mark is correct. after checking the pin to pin on the chain, set the valve clearance first before you trouble shoot anything else.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

just counted the chain links.

from the mark on the intake cam (points to a pin) as #1, #19 is on the mark on the exhaust cam.... thats not right is it?

a related question, could that possibly only affect one cylinder's compression?
                It's not links you count it's pins. Most GS engines call for 20 pins starting and ending where the arrows on the cam sprockets point to.

Comment

right thats what I was saying #1 pin is on the mark on the intake cam and #19 pin is on the mark on the exhaust. im assuming thats wrong

playing with it a bit more. #4 is popping through intake and exhaust, just seems randomly. if the cam was off wouldnt if effect 2 and 3; or 1 and 4 together?

Comment

right thats what I was saying #1 pin is on the mark on the intake cam and #19 pin is on the mark on the exhaust. im assuming thats wrong

playing with it a bit more. #4 is popping through intake and exhaust, just seems randomly. if the cam was off wouldnt if effect 2 and 3; or 1 and 4 together?
                    It would effect all the cylinders. Valve clearances are probably what's causing your throttle plate discoloration. Confirm it should be 20 pins. Also check the cam chain tensioner out. It has to come out anyway to correct the pin count. It may not be functioning correctly and allowed the chain to jump the sprocket due to too much chain slack. If you don't have a manual I can send you pages out of mine. It's a different bike but procedures are pretty much the same.

Comment

GOT IT!

It was just the exhaust cam being off one tooth, runs great now.

Still need to do my clearance right, will order my feeler guages with .030mm. It pops a bit when its cold, other than that.. runs AWESOME!

Comment

Working...
                      X