Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring Question (with photo) 1982 GS850

Hello people

I have a GS850 1982 and after a nasty piston-valve collision I swapped in a 1981 850 GL engine. Unfortunately I have little electrical experience and cannot find the last four wires and where they go. Its embarassing.

The photo is here

The wire colors are as described

- White and Red
    - Green & White
    - White & Green
    - Black
    ( i do not know the order of stripe and solid)

This comes straight out of the main electrical threading throughout the bike.

*** not to mention they looked hot and slightly melted?!

Pete

Originally posted by petermatra
    Hello people

I have a GS850 1982 and after a nasty piston-valve collision I swapped in a 1981 850 GL engine. Unfortunately I have little electrical experience and cannot find the last four wires and where they go. Its embarassing.

The photo is here

http://www.reddyeno9.com/gselectric.jpg

The wire colors are as described

- White and Red
    - Green & White
    - White & Green
    - Black
    ( i do not know the order of stripe and solid)

This comes straight out of the main electrical threading throughout the bike.

*** not to mention they looked hot and slightly melted?!

Pete
    In looking at the wiring diagram for my bike, and while I don't have all the colors you have, it seems as if those are for the gauge set idiot lights for things like the side stand and neutral indicator. Don't quote me on that though. Someone with an 850 will have to confirm it.

Comment

BTW, don't mistake black for ground. Grounds are black with a white tracer.

Comment

You can power up your electrical system and with a test light operate switches and see which wire works what. Be sure not to ground the wires to anything. That may help you find a couple.
        EULC ON

Comment

Pete, You get it figured out yet?

I could scan and send you color schematics for each of those bikes. Send me you email (in a personal message).
          http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

i can pull the lh cover off mine if it will help. and i have a wiring diagram...
            i might have to do it tommorow though.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

thinking

I have the diagrams thankyou

and have been looking at them every which way and am completely boggled.

The wires went into a plug but got snipped during engine removal. perhaps they connected to each other with a plug?

The main reason why I am confused is that I do not see any other wires to connect them too? I have only these four wires left, and up until now I have been completely confident on my reconnections, which were simple.

its rainy tomorrow so its not a very good day for a look

p

Comment

Black wires are generally for front running lights and the license plate light. On my bike the green with white tracer is for the neutral indicator and is actually a ground.

Comment

testing wires/lights/indicators

In another reply you guys mentioned that I could test the wires and see what lights they go to.

What is a good what to do that? never done it

Comment

I think you can count on the black wire being the hot wire for the running lights and the license plate light. If you can get under the cover where the shaft comes out of the tranny take a look at the sensor for the indicator that tells you if you are in neutral. I'm thinking the green wire with the white tracer goes to the neutral indicator on your gauges. That would take care of two of the mystery wires.

The other two I'm thinking go to one device, one hot and one ground. The red one with the white tracer I believe might be ground for that device. With a voltage tester place the positive probe on the white with red tracer and the negative probe on the red with white tracer and see if you get a voltage reading. It won't tell you what they are for but it may tell you if they belong as a pair for one device.

Comment

Neutral indicator

I'll give it a check and see what I come up with.

I still have no available wires to connect them up to

troubling.

But that makes complete sense about the headlight wire though.

my hangover doesnt help. And the cops on on me for dismantling my bike. three and a half years. and two engine replacements. and now they get bitchy

Comment

troubling.

my hangover doesnt help. And the cops on on me for dismantling my bike. three and a half years. and two engine replacements. and now they get bitchy
                        It's not actually a headlight wire, it's for the running lights that are always on as part of the front signals.

Comment

Wow

ok so I spent a bunch of time and traced two wires deep down that go nowhere. They terminated at the forks connected to each other.

Obviously the previous owner was a numnut that perhaps rewired it. I'l check the other two wires and then slap on the carbs.

Comment

troubling.

Just move it to your kitchen. Then they don't have to look at it.:-D

It may be easier on you to find a used wiring harness on ebay. Usually sell for cheap.

Allen

Comment

The two wires that go up to the headlight and join to each other may in fact be the vestigial remains of the headlight on/off switch. The switches were banned by the DOT (thus keeping the headlight on all the time for safety) a few years before your '82, but Suzuki left the circuit in.

What wire colors are the two wires that join?

Comment

Working...
                              X