initial testing..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

initial testing..

i have a fixer-upper bike im trying to test start...have a couple questions.

1. can i use a car battery for the test start...i have spoken to 2 different people and got 2 different answers. one guy says he does it all the time, the other said it will be to much power and will fry the electrics. i was under the impression that the electrics would only take as much juice as they needed, even though the battery would be capable of giving them much more.

2. the wiring on this bike is all over the place... from headlights to brake cables, etc...right now im just tryin to see if i can get the engine to turn over/fire...what cables are essential for me just to get the bike to turn over/fire?

thanks everyone

You should post the year/model of bike it is. This will help others answer. Try putting it into a signature line and then it appears in all your posts.

I don't see what harm a car battery will due. It is 12 volt, but just a larger capacity. You will at least need to complete the starter circuit. Ground, Positive to starter relay, relay to starter. Jumping the relay should turn the engine over.

You also need spark so having the coils connected would be necessary.

You might want to try and sort out the wiring before attempting to start it. You don't want wires arcing and causing fire hazard's.

Someone may have the appropriate wiring diagram for your model.

Allen

Comment

You can fry your electrics IF THE CAR IS RUNNING. As long as the cars charging system isn't putting out current, you are safe.

Comment

by the way...its an 82 gs650 E

i wouldnt even be using a battery already in my car...i have a spare car battery in my garage i was goin to hook up to it.

another question...the postive and negative inputs on the car battery are just holes with threads inside where normal car cables would connect...im not sure exactly how the battery cables from the motorcyle would connect and stay in place. im just learning general mechanics, so i may be missing something obvious.

also...does anyone have the wiring diagram for this bike?

thanks again

Comment

It must be a GM battery. Find some bolts that thread into the battery and then use a set of jumper cables to connect the battery to the bike. Connect the positive to the positive battery wire and the ground to negative wire or the frame.

That should work.

Allen

Comment

Originally posted by katoranger
            It must be a GM battery. Find some bolts that thread into the battery and then use a set of jumper cables to connect the battery to the bike. Connect the positive to the positive battery wire and the ground to negative wire or the frame.

That should work.

Allen

do they need to be special bolts? or metal is metal..and thats that? do you have any idea what size bolts id need? ive never needed to jump my car before...the battery i have is indeed from a gm..so i never would have been able to jump my car either without some bolts to act as an adapter?

Comment

Just find some that fit. It is just to make a post to connect the cables to.

This is just a temporary setup.

I don't know what size there are.

Allen

Comment

Working...
              X