Manual cam chain tensioners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual cam chain tensioners?

I'm looking for some pro's and con's on manual cam chain tensioners.
    Anyone have any input? Also, is there a method to follow to adjust them, or do you just look at it with the cam cover off and have a guess at the tension required?

Thy ae simple to adjust just tighten till it stops and back off a bit. Why do you want one???

Comment

I put one on my 1100E back in the 80's. The word at the time was that there was a chance of the stock type backing out under deceleration making things bump into each other inside the motor. I have no idea if that was fact or fiction, now. But Vance & Hines got my money long ago. I haven't had any problems with the manual type for over 16 years now. I adjust mine by warming up the engine and turning in the adjuster bolt until RPMs start to drop, then back it out about 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

Comment

I'm keen to get rid of the stock one as it is giving trouble during starting.
        The engine kind of kicks back sometimes and it throws the tensioner out and sounds really bad as it does it, kind of like somthing is about to break.
        I've got one just sitting there and as my engine is apart it seems like a good time to install it.

Comment

Fit it. A manual adjuster is a lot more reliable than a auto type, BUT don't forget to check it regularly.
          Paul
          GS1000, GS1000S, GS1240, GS1......

Comment

Working...
          X