Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stators and me.

Hey folks,
    1982 GS750E, have searched and read, and read...
    Just replaced my R/R with an Electrex RR10 because I was getting readings from both sides. All set up and ready to go.....Nothing!
    12.4V and stable, regardless of the revs.
    Checked the Stator wires 0.80 Ohms across all three pairs and no continunity with anything else,
    Set to AC and i'm only getting approx 2-3 Vac accross each pair, regardless of revs.
    Took the cover off..inside looks like new.

Questions:
    Would the Alternator blow the R/R or vica versa?
    What can be wrong if I'm getting stator readings like above...all of a sudden, when all meter tests indicate that it's ok?
    Should I not get at least one good reading between the three pairs in AC voltage.?
    And just to add to my doubtfullness, this bike has very low mileage and the entire stator housing is clean, fresh and has no bits of crud or anything in it.........help.

First thing I would do is check your meter, Measure your house voltage 110-120 VAC see if the meter is working Check the stator output with the wires disconnected

Comment

Meter is calibrated. and checked disconnected.....yup 2.5, 3 and 3 Volts AC,
      Is it looking like the rotor at this stage, but as stated ...looks like new.

Comment

Originally posted by Airman
        Hey folks,
        1982 GS750E, have searched and read, and read...
        Just replaced my R/R with an Electrex RR10 because I was getting readings from both sides. All set up and ready to go.....Nothing!
        12.4V and stable, regardless of the revs.
        Checked the Stator wires 0.80 Ohms across all three pairs and no continunity with anything else,
        Set to AC and i'm only getting approx 2-3 Vac accross each pair, regardless of revs.
        Took the cover off..inside looks like new.

Questions:
        Would the Alternator blow the R/R or vica versa?
        What can be wrong if I'm getting stator readings like above...all of a sudden, when all meter tests indicate that it's ok?
        Should I not get at least one good reading between the three pairs in AC voltage.?
        And just to add to my doubtfullness, this bike has very low mileage and the entire stator housing is clean, fresh and has no bits of crud or anything in it.........help.
        After doing ALL the stator/regulator reading, as I understand the situation, the improperly factory grounded R/R is the main culprit. The R/R "searches" for a ground, and tends to run hotter then normal, which in turn overloads the stator, which causes the stator to run hotter than normal also. I have added multiple ground wires to my Electrix R/R, and it only gets "very warm" to the touch. Try performing a stator "load" test. Jump 2 stator wires (doesn't matter which ones), rev the bike to about 4000 rpm's. You should measure around 80 volts of output. Repeat this procedure testing all three output wires. If one jump test puts out way less than 80 volts you have the infamous "cooked stator" . I installed Electrix components, and am VERY happy with the fit and performance of the Electrix components.
        Rich
        Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2006, 05:57 PM.

Comment

I can't say I was very happy with the Electrex RR. With all the hype on this site about them I thought this was it.

The rectifier looked crude with the spade connectors floating away from the housing.

I put it on a bike thats hardly ridden, maybe 1K or less in a year (wifes bike).

So in essence it only lasted 3000 miles.

Her electric system is clean an tidy unlike my hacked up harness.
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk
            I can't say I was very happy with the Electrex RR. With all the hype on this site about them I thought this was it.

The rectifier looked crude with the spade connectors floating away from the housing.

I put it on a bike thats hardly ridden, maybe 1K or less in a year (wifes bike).

So in essence it only lasted 3000 miles.

Her electric system is clean an tidy unlike my hacked up harness.

Maybe something else cooked it... did u change the stator too?

Comment

Only fault left... (Not R/R or Battery)

Checked three ststor wires
              0.8 Ohms accross each pair....Good?
              No continuity between any of the three and the core....Good?

Start bike
              R/R disconnected
              Stator disconnected.

Getting 3 Vac across each pair at 5000 RPM.....not good?

Stator Gone?...despite good OHM readings ?

Comment

With the stator disconnected and the bike running 5k rpm, 3vac across each pair of stator wires means the stator is long dead and gone.

Earl

QUOTE=Airman]Only fault left... (Not R/R or Battery)

Checked three ststor wires
                0.8 Ohms accross each pair....Good?
                No continuity between any of the three and the core....Good?

Start bike
                R/R disconnected
                Stator disconnected.

Getting 3 Vac across each pair at 5000 RPM.....not good?

Stator Gone?...despite good OHM readings ?[/QUOTE]
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks,
                  Just needed to be sure, as bike is all but sold.
                  bummer having to spend the profit on parts

Comment

Yeah, youre right on that one. Chances are very good youre going to need to replace the RR also.

Earl
                    Originally posted by Airman
                    Thanks,
                    Just needed to be sure, as bike is all but sold.
                    bummer having to spend the profit on parts
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                    X