carb blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb blues

Hello i have a 1980 gs1100l that i bought in a basket. I have the whole bike back together. fresh paint v&h 4 inti 1 megaphone w/ k&n pods, stage three kit was already installed but the guy who did it drilled out the air screw caps and hit 2 of them now there is no adjusting it. I'm so close to finishing but i can't finish dialing it in any ideas on how to get them to turn. I'm,needless to say very frustrated. This is my second gs1100l. The first one an ex friend totaled on me.Thanks for any input. Dan P.S any lines on a seat???????

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you are going to need to drill those air screws out.

Take your time. Center punch the exact center of the air jet head and start with a small drill bit. use lots of oil, WD40, liquid wrench (what ever you have around) and take care to drill straight. Once you have drilled through the jet, go up a size in the drill and do it again, but do not go so large you remove any of the threads in the carb body. After this gently tap in an easy-out and remove the jet, it may seem that it will never come out but it will, just take your time and use plenty of liquid wrench or WD40 to help remove the crud.

After you get it out, remember to remove the spring, washer and "o" ring and replace with new components.

As for a starting point for setting the air screw, try 1 5/8 turns out.

BTW, this works best with the carbs removed from the bike and dis-assembled from each other and clamped into a bench vise.

Sometimes you just need to get your hands dirty.

Good luck, Tom K.

Comment

PB Blaster and lots of it! Soak and soak and soak and soak some more. Spray 'em everytime you think of it for two days.

Comment

Stuck mixture screw

A couple of additional tricks that can sometimes help:
        Borrow the Wife's hair dryer and heat the carb housing around the mixture screw. Aluminum expands more than most metals and it may be enough to assist removal.
        Also, try giving a shot of canned air or Freeze-it(R134A, usually). This causes the screw to shrink slightly.
        Caution-the R134 is cold, using the hair dryer will get you lots of heat from the wife also!
        These have helped unstick some bad stuff. Good luck

Comment

Here's how I do it. Get a drill that is i tight fit into the opening, drill down into the mix needle just enough to get a staring point (center) Then get a LEFT handed drill bit. 1/8"-3/16" IF you are lucky the drill will catch & turn it right out. With a conventional drill if it catches It will break the mix screw point off in the carb So be carefull Do not drill more than 1/4" into the screw. If it hasn't come out by now it's time for an easyout
          Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2006, 01:21 AM.

Comment

carb blues

Ill try anything at this point, where can i get new screws????? I'm also contemplating putting a stock airbox back on, if I can find one.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2006, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X