Removing and mounting tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing and mounting tires

I've got brand new tires on the 750L and the T needs a new rear. How hard is it to remove tires and mount them on new wheels? I've never done it on anything harder than a bicycle.

Thanks,
    Mike

You could probably do it, but you are going to want to have them balanced. I would just take it to a shop.

Allen

Comment

True,...but it shouldn't be too hard to take 'em off the old wheels so I can bring 'em to the shop, right?

Comment

Mike..It aint hard..just a ball buster..I work over a plastic 5 gal bucket with 3 tire irons. Take your time..The shop I use for dirt bike wheels(bead locks suck) only charges 13 bucks to do the work. They pinch a tube now and then. If you have tubeless tires, just cut the old tire off with arazor knife. Plenty of lube to squeeze the new tire on.
        EULC ON

Comment

I would rather pay someone to do it and if they damage something they pay.

It can be done though with tire irons.

Allen

Comment

Mike,

If you have a local shop that will do it for a reasonable price I'd say let them do it. Around here it runs about $30 per wheel if you bring the wheels in and $40 per wheel if you ride the bike in. To me that's a bit steep. It isn't too hard to do yourself but some special tools are very helpful.You'll need some way to break the bead on the old tires. This is sometimes the toughest part. A compressor is pretty much a necessity to get the bead to seal on the new tires. You can balance yourself with a couple jackstands and stick-on weights.

Thanks,
            Joe
            IBA# 24077
            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Thanks, guys. Looks like I'll trust the pros on this one.

Comment

Here are a few links to pages that describe how to do it at home. I'm tempted every time I get new tires, but I haven't worked up the nerve yet.

One of these times...

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing.html

http://www.xs11.com/faq/tirefaq.shtml

Comment

I did get my rear tire changed, I took a lot of work and cursing. I never got the bead set, but I think the compressors at the gas stations just didn't put air out fast enough. I took it to the cycle shop and they finished it for free. I'm taking my front and my dad's rear to be done for me tomorrow. They'll do it or $10 each so it's not worth it do fuss with. It's definatly an experiance though.

Comment

Originally posted by Llamaguy
                    I did get my rear tire changed, I took a lot of work and cursing. I never got the bead set, but I think the compressors at the gas stations just didn't put air out fast enough. I took it to the cycle shop and they finished it for free. I'm taking my front and my dad's rear to be done for me tomorrow. They'll do it or $10 each so it's not worth it do fuss with. It's definatly an experiance though.
                    Like I said, if I could get it done around here for that price it would be a no-brainer. Also, a good compressor is almost a must have. Between myself and friends we've saved enough by doing it ourselves to buy quite a few sets of tires. After you've done it a few times you develop a routine and it isn't too bad. I did a set recently in about 40 minutes with someone else removing the wheels from the bike.

Joe
                    IBA# 24077
                    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

The worst part is breaking the bead, after that it's not a big deal. I built a breaker out of 2X4's for this. If you just use tire irons pry the tire off the bead a bit and get some soapy water between the tire and the rim. Makes the whole job easier.

Comment

Just a slight aside from the question.

I consider balancing an absolute necessity, on both wheels. It is critical on the front wheel as an imbalance at speed can induce other problems.

That brings up the "aside":

For balance, the last two Metzelers I bought went on as per manufacturer recommendations (there is a mark on the tire to match the valve opening on the rim) required zilch. Once on, they were found to be within a few hundredths of an ounce, and the bike shop did not have weights small enough to make it perfect.
                        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by Llamaguy

Llama, where did you find a shop in or near Indy that will mount tires that cheap?

Cycle Outfitters says they mount tires for free, but they charge a $35-$50 premium per tire. Cycle Recycle II wanted $15 each a couple of years ago, on top of a $20 - $25 premium per tire (e.g. $75 for a $50 Cheng Shin, plus $15 mounting.)

I've found the same thing everywhere I look -- they'll only mount tires if you buy them through their shop, and they either charge quite a lot for mounting or jack up the tire prices so you can't just buy a tire and mount it at home.

I'd happily pay $10 a tire for mounting (I'll bring in the wheels -- no mechanic monkey is touching my GS!), but with my last set, I paid for most of my new air compressor by mounting tires myself.

A set of Dunlop 491s was $170 delivered from http://tiresunlimited.com (they were fresh, too). Cycle Outfitters wanted $300 for a set that had been sitting in their shop a couple of years. (Costs for Metzelers were about)

I do have to admit that CO has the largest stock of tires around, so if I was in a hurry, that's where I'd need to go.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                            Llama, where did you find a shop in or near Indy that will mount tires that cheap?

Cycle Outfitters says they mount tires for free, but they charge a $35-$50 premium per tire. Cycle Recycle II wanted $15 each a couple of years ago, on top of a $20 - $25 premium per tire (e.g. $75 for a $50 Cheng Shin, plus $15 mounting.)

I've found the same thing everywhere I look -- they'll only mount tires if you buy them through their shop, and they either charge quite a lot for mounting or jack up the tire prices so you can't just buy a tire and mount it at home.

I'd happily pay $10 a tire for mounting (I'll bring in the wheels -- no mechanic monkey is touching my GS!), but with my last set, I paid for most of my new air compressor by mounting tires myself.

A set of Dunlop 491s was $170 delivered from http://tiresunlimited.com (they were fresh, too). Cycle Outfitters wanted $300 for a set that had been sitting in their shop a couple of years. (Costs for Metzelers were about)

I do have to admit that CO has the largest stock of tires around, so if I was in a hurry, that's where I'd need to go.
                            Tire Expess carries a good stock with 2 or 3 day delivery. Competitive prices too.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer

My dad got a tire at Cycle recycle, I thought he said it was $10, but it might have been more for balance.

Today I stopped by Cycle Outfitters and had them put mine and my dad's tire on since recycle is closed mondays. Was $35 each. Not bad considering how much of a pain it was for the 1 I did. Plus they are super nice I don't mind giving them some of my money.

Comment

Working...
                              X