Engine surges at full throttle '83 GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine surges at full throttle '83 GS850

I have a 1983 GS850 that I recently aquired. It has spent most of its life sitting in a garage. I cleaned the carbs on it, and changed all the fluids.
    when I apply full throttle on it hesitates at about 1,000 to 2000 rpm and then surges up, accelerating rapidly. This is more prodominant when the engine is not fully warmed up (for the first 10 min of riding). I was thinking that i might be an excess valve clearance, but I don't have the tools or experience with checking those. A mechanic told me it was probably some jets in the carb and that I didn't clean them good enough last time, so since then I have cleaned the carbs again (separating them all and cleaning individual jets). one thing I noticed when the carbs were apart was that one of them was missing the little rubber plug thats supposed to block the top of the idle mixture jet. Could this have caused the surging?
    I also noticed that the mixture screws were quite different, some were seated and then 1/4 turn out, some as far as 4 turns out. Is this normal? Should I set them all the same, and if so where?
    I haven't been able to put it back together yet, because I'm waiting to get the starter replaced, I rebuilt the one in there and it ate the +brushes within 500 miles

WHen you say "rubber plug over the idle jet": Are you refering to the jets underneath inside the float bowl (there is a rubber plug there) or are you refering to the top outside of carb (called pilot jet)? Mine has a small thin metal plug with a hole in it over that setting. I think the hole is from it having been drilled out so it can be removed, and then put back. I have seen bikes with all of them gone. SO I dont think one of them missing could cause your problem.

And you say this hesitation doesnt happen so much after it is more compltey warmend up? I want to hear a good answer from somebody about what might cause that, sounds like situation I am having at present on my GK.
    Last edited by Redman; 04-09-2006, 08:42 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

The rubber plug inside the float bowl.
      I'll try to attach a pic of one

Comment

Those plugs are mandatory....could be causing your problem also make sure the air box is sealed good

Comment

Adam, Your symptoms seemed similar to mine.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

In particular: See TFB Mike's and Keith Krause's responce.
          Last edited by Redman; 04-11-2006, 08:51 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks REDMAN, I'll look into that, first I have to find some washers for the air valve screws, apparently the last owner didn't think it needed them.
            I can't wait to get this thing running good for the first time...

Comment

Working...
            X