Stiff clutch- 1982 GS750TZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stiff clutch- 1982 GS750TZ

The clutch lever has always been very stiff - so stiff that I'm now getting pains across the back of my left hand, days after riding.
    Not only was the clutch cable old, whoever had the bike before me had fitted a non-standard cable which was too short and they'd had to swap round the clutch perch and the horn/indicator assembly to get it to reach.
    So, when I received my brand new 'Motion Pro' clutch cable from www.motorbiketoronto.com I expected to get all these problems sorted out. I've swapped the clutch perch and and horn assembly back into the correct order and fitted the new cable. I've carefully routed the cable according to the diagram in my Clymer manual and adjusted it with 2-3mm free play as the manual suggests. Unfortunately, the clutch lever requires just as much of a pull as ever (if not worse). Is there anything I can do about this or do I just have to live with it?

Have you lubed the cable with white lithium grease, if that don't do it, I would suspect that heavier springs and/or an x-tra clutch disc may have been installed, go back to the stock springs

Comment

Stiff clutch

From reading other posts it's apparent stiff clutches are common in GS's. You did'nt say but I assume you have'nt had bike long? The clutches on these bikes are real sensitive to aftermarket plates and springs,etc, cable and cable routing and even the viscosity/condition of oil. Check out other posts. I believe there are several in Technical Q/A and more in General Disc'. There are several reasons or sometimes a COMBINATION of seemingly minor things. If you have cable routed EXACTLY and there is no 'kinking', it may help to drip some 3 in 1 oil through it. If you put bike on centerstand and turn bars to right you can put oil in at the cable adjuster 'slot' and let gravity help. It takes awhile and may get messy at other end,since you do'nt know when to stop. You can also adjust cable for a bit more play,it will be a little easier to pull, but of course bike could 'jump' forward if too much play. Another easy fix can be changing oil. I can personally testify that if I put 20/50 in my bike, the clutch will drag, shifting is less smooth and the lever IS harder to pull. I just finished inspection of my freshly rebuilt clutch and everything is in specs'. No serious wear marks,no 'grit'. The shop did install aftermarket plates(I wish they were genuine Suzuki) but that ALONE did not make a problem. It was putting 20/50 in it, the COMBINATION caused my dragging and stiffer lever. Many say 20/50 is best (I was one of them) but this morning I put 10/40 in it (what Suzuki calls for in a '79GS1000) and my dragging is completely gone, it shifts smoother,and along with cable lubing the lever is MUCH easier. Your bike may or may not respond to the above, it may have worn parts,etc. But they are simple things you can try.
      I can't believe I never paid attention to that info in manual. I respect others opinions on 20/50, but I'm using what Mr. Suzuki says.Even if I had genuine Suz' plates,I'd use 10/40. Hope this helps! KK.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I bet that you have heavy duty springs in your clutch. I have over 100lbs of grip strength in each of my hands and I found it hard to pull in an 84 GS1150 with heavy duty springs and a barnett clutch.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
          I bet that you have heavy duty springs in your clutch. I have over 100lbs of grip strength in each of my hands and I found it hard to pull in an 84 GS1150 with heavy duty springs and a barnett clutch.

Steve
          New clutch cable and new clutch (stock) 8000 km ago, on my GS 1150 -84, and the clutch lever still doesn't feel hard to pull. The same goes for the GSX1100 1981.

My Honda CBX 1047 1979 had a much harder clutch lever than both the Suzukis.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks all, I'll check out the springs.
            I had an interesting ride to work this morning. Having moved the horn/indicator assembly to its correct position my thumb could no longer find it. I was riding along signalling, putting the headlights onto high beam and beeping people all the way until my thumb learned the new position.
            I hate to admit it, but I'd been riding over a year with that problem. Amazing what you'll put up with when you don't know much more about bikes than that you like riding them!

Comment

Working...
            X