need carb part name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need carb part name

between the carbs and engine there is a plastic or rubber pice (black ) that connectes them together
    what is it called and what should be a decent price for them
    nick

I think what you were refferring to is what I have called a manifold boots. If you needs boots you also need boot o-rings. Check out bikebandit.com.

rg

Comment

There are two major types of boots on GS bikes. What is your bike? Are the boots simply tubes of rubber attached with hose clamps or are they rubber boots permenently molded to the manifold that attaches to the head with bolts?
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

intake flanges, intake pipes, or just intakes.

I would call it a coupler if it doesnt have the flange on it.

Comment

ok

1979 gs1000 i is the boot that go between each carb and the head they dryrotted and are causing a popping sound since there is like 200 different names for them coul some one direct me to a part number? thank you
          nick

Comment

Suzuki calls them "Intake Pipes".

I use http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm for parts diagrams. If you go there, click on your year and then your model. For the part you're asking about, I went to the 1979 GS1000N ("N" is your bike's year code). (I'm assuming you have a "plain vanilla" GS1000 and don't have a GS1000S sport model or GS1000L step-seat cruiser).

Anyway, at the website, click to your year, and model. The carb intake pipes happen to be on the Air Cleaner page for your year (they're on the Cylinder Head diagram for my year...) Here's a direct link: http://alpha-sports.com/spst/1979%20GS1000N,EN/01.htm

You need four of part #20 in the diagram, intake pipes, p/n 13110-45010, if you click on the link on that page, it gives an updated part number 13110-49000. They list at $30.54 each there, but for $23.67 each at http://www.ronayers.com (where they don't have online parts diagrams...) [When I ordered a set for my GS1100GL from a local dealer, they cost me $27 each.]

You also need four of part #21 in the diagram, the special o-rings, p/n 09280-32006, $1.76 at Alpha, $.90 at Ron Ayers.

I've just ordered some parts from http://www.bikebandit.com, they cost a bit more on Suzuki parts (example, $25.43/ea for the intake pipes). They do have online parts diagrams, but use their own part numbers instead of the Suzuki ones. I'll probably give Ron Ayers a try next time...
            Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2006, 12:40 PM.

Comment

intake pipes?

well thanks for all the info i never thaught such a stupid piece of plastic would cost so much but it seemes every thing for this bike coat alot ( maybe i should have got somthing else) i guess it is time to start saving money and searching for used parts and if i can save enought but some new ones i dont know a whole lot about this bike i know it had a hookup for the front farring it is missing seat and side covers and the farring i was told it is just a 79 gs1000 lol i dunno
              nick

Comment

It sucks, but restoring a bike to service after it's been neglected will cost money... and keeping it on the road does mean keeping it maintained... New bikes cost more to buy and insure, old bikes are cheaper to buy but cost more to maintain, even though they're generally easy to work on. The GS design is overbuilt, which means that once you have it all fixed up, the engine is very durable. I haven't been able to afford any new bikes, and there's no sign of any budget change, so I need to keep the one I have running. Good thing I enjoy doing my own repair work...

The VIN plate on the steering stem part of the frame should show model number and date of manufacture.

The fairing brackets in place should be able to be removed. The GS1000S model had a little fairing on it from the factory (check the gallery photos on the main GSResources site.) Is your headlight still in place?

For seat and sidecovers, pretty much your only hope is eBay and bike junkyards (and sometimes the parts forum here). You can get good stuff cheap out of the boneyards, though it's sometimes easier to find specific parts on eBay. You'll probably have to put a new cover on any seat you buy, but it's not very hard.

Rubber parts like the carb intakes and their o-rings are worthless as used parts. Buying them used means that the replacement set will probably be in the same shape as your old set. Buy three or four used sets, and you've wasted time and money all over the place... Four years ago I bit the bullet and bought a new set of intake pipes and o-rings because the bike was running poorly and the pipes tested as bad, learned how to replace them from the Clymer book, and now they're on the bike and I don't have to think about them anymore.

Also, this tech forum is an amazing resource. I was looking for a site for Yamaha bikes from the same era, 1978-1984, and they seem to have nothing like the GSResources. The Honda folks seem to have it together, I've never looked for a similar Kawasaki site, and the vintage BMW people have us all beat.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2006, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X