first post Carb Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first post Carb Problem

Hello , i have to tell u befor im a "frenchies girls" and my english is not realy good.

I brought a gs 850 83 last years . Start fine and idl fine but when i go higher then 5000 rpm its start doing back fire and almost die .when i ride and pull the throttle to the maximun and release then maximum then realese like 5 time i can go to higher rpm but whit weird nose and backfire.

I cleaned all carb 2 time , new fuel line,new sparkplug ,new wire. now i almost give up....
    i have no money to go to the motorcycle shop and i always do my hown repair to save $$$ .

Anyone have a clue ?? prety plz

Thank alot

Saynna

Originally posted by Saynna
    Hello , i have to tell u befor im a "frenchies girls" and my english is not realy good.

I brought a gs 850 83 last years . Start fine and idl fine but when i go higher then 5000 rpm its start doing back fire and almost die .when i ride and pull the throttle to the maximun and release then maximum then realese like 5 time i can go to higher rpm but whit weird nose and backfire.

I cleaned all carb 2 time , new fuel line,new sparkplug ,new wire. now i almost give up....
    i have no money to go to the motorcycle shop and i always do my hown repair to save $$$ .

Anyone have a clue ?? prety plz

Thank alot

Saynna
    Are the float levels set correctly?

Where in France are you? My wife's mother is French and we are going to France for 3 weeks in September. Her family lives in Chaumont.

Comment

float are supose to be perfectly set .

im from Quebec canada not france im a french canadian

Comment

Originally posted by Saynna
        float are supose to be perfectly set .

im from Quebec canada not france im a french canadian
        Could be a weak coil if you feel the carbs are setup properly. You can generally find a set off a late model Bandit or Katana for about $30 US on Ebay.

Comment

Do you have the stock airbox and stock exhaust on it?
          1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

GS850 Carb problems

Make sure your air vent to the carbs are free, either the passages or hoses. It'll start/idle nice but as fuel is drawn out the closed/retricted vent causes a vacuum in the float bowl and restricts fuel flow and leans out suddenly. Hope this helps.

Comment

When in QC, I'm in Montreal...

Comment

Hey, French Canadian!! Come ride with us on the Cabot Trail this July!
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=85615
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

If the carbs are OK, then its most likely an electrical problem.
                  As Billy Ricks says, check the coils. Check the spark across each sparkplug - if its a weak spark (barely visible), then something is wrong. Also check the battery - make sure its fully charged and is charging properly (measure the voltage across the battery with the engine running - it should be between 13.5 and 14.5 volts). The bike may have a dead regulator/rectifier, which is quite cheap and easy to replace.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                    Could be a weak coil if you feel the carbs are setup properly. You can generally find a set off a late model Bandit or Katana for about $30 US on Ebay.
                    Just curious, I have a 1979 GS1000E, with points, but may want to go to Dyna ignition in the future, not sure yet. You mentioned that late model Bandit/Katana coil. What year range would work?

==================================================
                    1979 GS1000E

"The less you know, the more you believe."
                    "We thought that we had the answers, it was the questions we had wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by mkaczmarek
                      Just curious, I have a 1979 GS1000E, with points, but may want to go to Dyna ignition in the future, not sure yet. You mentioned that late model Bandit/Katana coil. What year range would work?

==================================================
                      1979 GS1000E

"The less you know, the more you believe."
                      "We thought that we had the answers, it was the questions we had wrong."
                      Right up to the current models. GSXR coils will work too but the latest models have individual coils built into the plug caps. Here's a set for $30 on Ebay now.
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...spagenameZWDVW

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                        Right up to the current models. GSXR coils will work too but the latest models have individual coils built into the plug caps. Here's a set for $30 on Ebay now.
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...spagenameZWDVW
                        Looks like someone snatched them up. Anyone from here?

Comment

could it be a leak in the airbox?? getting lean at the high end? is backfiring usually lean or rich...?

Comment

Working...
                          X