Recommend saddlebags for 78 GS750?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend saddlebags for 78 GS750?

Does anyone have recommendations for some decent saddlebags for a 78 GS750? These would be for just a short 1 or 2 day tours.

On a similar subject - I'm looking for a rear rack with backrest for the same bike. On the 83 GS750T I used to own, there was a rack/backrest that pivoted and locked in two positions - rider only, or rider and passenger. It was a great system because I could swing it forward and use the backrest when I had no passenger. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes this, or something similar? I had heard of a now-defunct company in New Jersey that made it, but can't recall the name.

Thanks!

Don't know the brand, but I have the rack you're talking about. It's gathering dust as we speak as I just removed it. I too want somee saddle bags. I don't travel on the bike, but it's nice to be able to hold some things. I bought a small backpack and use that instead of my duffle on the luggage rack.

edit: My backrest doesn't pivot, it has to slide clamps and you slide the bar up for driver or back for passenger
    Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2006, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gotjeepzj
      Don't know the brand, but I have the rack you're talking about. It's gathering dust as we speak as I just removed it. I too want somee saddle bags. I don't travel on the bike, but it's nice to be able to hold some things. I bought a small backpack and use that instead of my duffle on the luggage rack.

edit: My backrest doesn't pivot, it has to slide clamps and you slide the bar up for driver or back for passenger
      Hehe....Do I understand from your post that you're perhaps looking to get rid of the rack...or that you just removed it since it wasn't being used?

Thought I'd ask... :-))

Thanks for the reply...nice to know those racks are out there somewhere.

Comment

There aren't any current suppliers of backrests that will fit GS bikes, as far as I know.

KG was the company that supplied the generic racks with fittings for various different bikes of our era. They made a model with the sliding backrest. I find most of my KG parts in junkyards, and there's some out there on fleaBay....

Comment

Yes...KG is the company I was thinking of. Thanks. It seems a stroll through one of the local scrapyards might be the answer. Nothing on eBay that I've seen comparable to that KG design.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Taflet
            Hehe....Do I understand from your post that you're perhaps looking to get rid of the rack...or that you just removed it since it wasn't being used?

Thought I'd ask... :-))

Thanks for the reply...nice to know those racks are out there somewhere.

I haven't fully decide on keeping the rack. It does have a few problems though. It has a small amount of surface rust on the chrome along the sides. Also the backrest was recovered but never reinstalled on the bars. I'll see about getting some pics.

Comment

Found listed on ebay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Originally posted by UTgws
                Too bad this guy will only ship within the US (I'm in Alberta). That setup pictured on eBay looks a lot like the one that gotjeepzj described.

Thanks for the link UTgws!

Comment

Similiar, but mine is MUCH beefier. It has square tubing for the rack and has a flat plate with holes drilled that is on either side for attachment points. I'll try and post a pic tommorrow.

Comment

Working...
                  X