Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 Stator Cover Gasket Replacement

Hey there,

I am restoring a 1978 GS550 and i am almost ready to get it on the road, except i am having trouble getting the stator cover gasket on. It looks like the stator (magnet) has to go through the tiny opening in the gasket to lay flat on the cover, the wires go in a plug that the gasket sits on when sealed. How can i get the gasket on? It looks like i would have to cut the gasket to fit it around the wires. [-o< Any tips would be helpful as i want to hit the road today before 5 pm.

Thanks,
    Devin

[QUOTE=waffles007]Hey there,

I am restoring a 1978 GS550 and i am almost ready to get it on the road, except i am having trouble getting the stator cover gasket on. It looks like the stator (magnet) has to go through the tiny opening in the gasket to lay flat on the cover, the wires go in a plug that the gasket sits on when sealed. How can i get the gasket on? It looks like i would have to cut the gasket to fit it around the wires. [-o< Any tips would be helpful as i want to hit the road today before 5 pm.

Thanks,
    Devin
    Just did this on my 1000(same only bigger) You'll need to pull the starter cover off and probly the chain fwd sprocket cover off also, you'll have to trace the stator wires to where they connect somewhere under the seat,disconnect the stator wires and pull the stator cover all the way off the bike wires and all, remove old gasket,(polish cover while off) feed wires thru gasket and back into the engine where they came from, reverse disassembly.Hope this helps, you cannot replace this gasket with out removing the cover entirely(wires and all).

Comment

Hey there,

That makes sense, can the front sproket cover be removed easily? The clutch cable runs through it, will removing the cover damage anything inside?

Thanks,
      Devin

Comment

Originally posted by waffles007
        Hey there,

That makes sense, can the front sproket cover be removed easily? The clutch cable runs through it, will removing the cover damage anything inside?

Thanks,
        Devin
        You can leave the cable attached and just let the cover hang somewhere so it doesn't get scratched.

Comment

Hey there,

Ok, i'll go ahead and take the cover off adn trace the wires, i will post again if i run into any porblems, hopefully none :-D , Thanks everyone for helping me out.

Thanks,
          Devin

P.S. This site is awesome, so many helpful people!

Comment

Originally posted by waffles007
            Hey there,

Thanks,
            Devin
            You remove the shifter, cover bolts and pull the cover off with the clutch cable still attached.The cover will just dangle there,I don't think you'll damage anything, but you will be amazed at the dirt and greasy sludge under that cover.good luck grasshopper learn by doing.

Comment

Hey there,

I finished putting the gasket on just now, thank you very much for all your help guys, taking the stator off was a little fun because there is a plate you need to remove to pull the stator cables out and the one inner bolt is hard to turn. I am happy to say it is on and tight. However i have one more question... would this motorcycle be considered a four-stroke? What type of oil should i use that would be the best for it?

Thanks again,
              Devin

P.S. I love this site you all are great!

P.S.S. I removed about a cups worth of sludge from inside the cover! eewwww it was gross.

Comment

Working...
              X