Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two questions...Small exhaust hole & illegal tailpipes!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two questions...Small exhaust hole & illegal tailpipes!!

There seems to be a small hole in that H-shaped exhaust connector that joins the two middle pipes right under the engine just before the four pipes merge into two. I noticed it because I can see some of the white start-up smoke escaping from under the bike when I turn it on. I am wondering if this part can be replaced or repaired, or if I have to replace the whole exhaust system. In any case, is a hole there dangerous? Am I inhaling vapors as I ride?

Also, I noticed on the bike (after I bought it) that there's a warning stamped into the chrome of the exhaust pipe that says roughly "These pipes are for closed-circuit track use only, because they don't conform to EPA noise regulations. It's a federal offense to use these on a non-approved bike." Now I'm paraphrasing slightly, but that's the gist of it.

The pipes don't seem all too noisy to me (and I like quiet pipes), and I'd rather not go through the expense and trouble of replacing what are otherwise nice looking/working pipes, but I also don't want to be arrested and sent to prison. Anyone know what the deal is with this sort of thing?

Just a quick pic of the affected area. The part is on the underside, but the hole seems to be on the top of that part, so the exhaust shoots kind of up toward the engine.

Comment

You are not going to get arrested. They will get the guy on the Harley first. Unless you are doing something really wrong you won't be stopped for nonstock exhuast. Most cops won't know the difference and if they are not loud then it shouldn't be a problem.

The hole might be easily repaired with some JB Weld.

Comment

Didn't think so, but just wanted to be sure. I will try some of the sealant and see if that patches the hole. Thanks!

Comment

I had straight pipes on my virago and a 4 into 1 on my gpz550 that didn't silence much. Never had any problems with the law.

I do prefer the no noise though. I am getting old.

Allen

Comment

If it's rusted bad, check with a muffler shop about welding a new piece in. You need to get under it & check their are several aspestos gaskets where the pipes join

Comment

I was looking under there today, and it didn't seem rusty. Just grimy. I'm going to go de-grease the bottom of the bike tomorrow so I can see better what sort of hole I'm dealing with. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X