Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone identify this brake part?

Hi all,

First post here.. Yesterday I changed the front brake pads in my GS 650L. When I pulled the old pads out, this piece fell out from somewhere.

I don't see anything that even vaguely resembles this piece in the Clymer manual. I don't see anyplace for it to go. I re-installed the pads while I wait for my new ones and the brakes appear to work as well as they did before.

Does anyone know what this piece is? Where does it go? I have difficulty believing that I can arbitrarily discard brake components at will...

Thank you!

item?

Its a shim that sits between the pads on each end. There are two. Off brakes around the early 80's era.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesMcCall
      Hi all,

First post here.. Yesterday I changed the front brake pads in my GS 650L. When I pulled the old pads out, this piece fell out from somewhere.

I don't see anything that even vaguely resembles this piece in the Clymer manual. I don't see anyplace for it to go. I re-installed the pads while I wait for my new ones and the brakes appear to work as well as they did before.

Does anyone know what this piece is? Where does it go? I have difficulty believing that I can arbitrarily discard brake components at will...

Thank you!
      For some reason, it isn't shown in the manuals. You can see it clearly in the 1981 SUZUKI GS650GL 1981-1982 Parts Fiche after you select the view for Front Calipers.

It's part no. 7 - Guide Pad. It sits in the direction shown on the bottom of the Caliper Mounting Bracket (part no. 6). The brake pads slide on the guide pad, so you should clean the guide pad before putting the new pads in and reinstalling the caliper.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. Yup, that would be the part!

That diagram helps a bunch. When I get home I'll have to take it apart again and actually install the little clip.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy
          Its a shim that sits between the pads on each end. There are two. Off brakes around the early 80's era.
          Um, just looking at this a little more. You say there are two. The diagram from the Alamo site indicates there are two. I only see one in the diagram however?

Is there a second one located symetrically, ie on the top part of the caliper?

Thanks again for the help

Comment

Working...
          X