Chilly powerplant???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chilly powerplant???

I have a GS750E 1984, yesterday I tough my regulator died on me again, but after another ride (a good 1 hour) everything was doing good. This morning the problem comes up again! explication: I start the engine, warm it up for a 1 minute or 2 and away I go! For 15 to 20 minutes everythings fine (on and off highway and traffic), and I soon as I hit 110 km/h for more than 5 to 10 minutes the bike begin to slow down, even if I turn the grip. It's about 4 Celsius outside, a little bit windy (so it could go easily in the minus when I ride), I know that the bike is not completely hot (gauge). A local shop treated my tank 2 weeks ago (a little bit of rust problem), fill it up afterward of fresh new gasoline and now it do this! What could be wrong: engine is too cold?? bad tank job??

Driver related problem???

Sounds like a fuel flow problem. Your carbs are not refilling fast enough once you get to highway speed. I would look at the petcock and the fuel line going to the carbs. Test the petock flow. Make sure there is no sharp bends in the fuel line.

Comment

Never tough about that! Thanks a lot M. Dimitri.

I'm not a big mecanic, what's a petcock??

(WOW, loving more and more that forum!!!!)

Comment

The fuel valve on the tank.

Comment

I feel more stupid than you can imagine! I just saw it on the site! I'm french, so I have some problems with the english words!

Thank you again guys for the tips and not humiliated me too much!

Comment

most likely fuel flow! maybe they coated over the holes?! good luck!

Comment

If the fuel in the carbs was allowed to dry up you may also have clogged screens on the float valve seats.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                If the fuel in the carbs was allowed to dry up you may also have clogged screens on the float valve seats.
                Ouf! That sounds scary for me! The only time that maybe the carbs didn't have fuel flowing in was for about 5 days max. Could it dry all up in that period?? Also, it was my winter fuel with the stabilizer in it, maybe it wasn't that bad??

I'm goanna check for those holes that could be a little bit clogged and too much bend tube before touching those fuel/air gobing things. Too much discouraging for start of the season!

Comment

Originally posted by Michoui
                  Ouf! That sounds scary for me! The only time that maybe the carbs didn't have fuel flowing in was for about 5 days max. Could it dry all up in that period?? Also, it was my winter fuel with the stabilizer in it, maybe it wasn't that bad??

I'm goanna check for those holes that could be a little bit clogged and too much bend tube before touching those fuel/air gobing things. Too much discouraging for start of the season!
                  If it was only 5 days then it shouldn't be a problem as long as the filter in the tank is in place. The petcock filter chould have trapped anything big enough to clog the screens.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                    If it was only 5 days then it shouldn't be a problem as long as the filter in the tank is in place. The petcock filter chould have trapped anything big enough to clog the screens.
                    5 days wouldnt do it. I let my bike sit for almost 6 months. Charged the battery, twist the key and VROOOOOOMmmmmmmm away I went. At least far enought to get it to my new home. Now to do the oil change, filters, etc....

Comment

Working...
                    X