Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get the bolt to go in

the bike: 80 1100L
    the problem: Tried to remove the rear shock (clutch handle side)
    I wanted to remove the shocks for cleaning/polishing and after running the lower bolt as far out as it will go I realized that the exhaust prohibits the removal of the bolt. Trying to tighten up the same bolt I can get as far as through the frame but can't get the rest of the bolt to "bite" into the lower clevis of the shock. I can't get torque on the bolt due to the exhaust being in the way. Any tips on how to push that bolt the rest of the way in? (about a half an inch) It has been soaking with penetrating oil overnight. You learn by your mistakes so they say and I really don't want to remove the exhaust...

Thanks, Pete

If I read this correctly the exhaust is in the way, it is very simple to either loosen it and move it out of the way or remove it altogether. I would loosen (but not totally remove) the exhaust head bolts and pull the rear bolts. This should allow you to lower it out of the way for access - but not have it completely off for easy reinstallation. I typically go through the same thing when removing the rear wheel as the rear wheel bolt cannot be extracted (on my bike) with the exhaust in its normal position.

Comment

Ooh, that's painful, I've never had to loosen or remove the exhaust on any bike I've had to remove the rear wheel or shocks - seems like a design flaw to me.
      Getting those pipes to seal properly with the head can be a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by nabrams
        Ooh, that's painful, I've never had to loosen or remove the exhaust on any bike I've had to remove the rear wheel or shocks - seems like a design flaw to me.
        Getting those pipes to seal properly with the head can be a pain.
        Just change my 750L shocks a few weeks back - had to remove the one bolt on the exhaust hanger on the rear of the exhaust and it was able to be moved just enough to get the shock bolt out.

Mine also did not want to go back together, but with a little persuasion under the rear tire to move it up just a hair I was able to get the bolt started.

Comment

Are both the top shock bolts removed? If so you should be able to raise or lower the swingarm enough to give clear access to the bolt. If the centerstand doesn't allow the rear wheel to drop far enough put a 2x4 under the centerstand. It will be harder to get on the centerstand but will give you a lot more room for swingarm movement.

Thanks,
          Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Thanks Joe

This issue has been solved...didn't think of doing it that way. Appreciate all your help. -Pete

Comment

Originally posted by mrquadriga
              This issue has been solved...didn't think of doing it that way. Appreciate all your help. -Pete
              You're welcome Pete. I'm an idea man! We're all happy to help. Glad you 'got-r-done'.

Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Working...
              X