Simple, and dare I say correct?, alternative to soldering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple, and dare I say correct?, alternative to soldering

Here's a quote from a previous thread.....I wanted to dedicate a seperate thread to this because I believe as many people as possible should know about this product (see below, but please read Earlfor's quote first).

Originally posted by earlfor
    The problem with soldered joints is that where the solder adheres, the wire is changed from being stranded and flexible to being solid and rigid. It takes much more flexing of a stranded wire to cause fracture than it does in a solid wire. Its true that corrosion is the biggest problem with crimp connectors and that is solved in marine applications by sealing the connectors with electrolytic grease. Soldering the wire after crimping a connector voids the reason for crimping as the wire exiting the crimp will be solid. The crimp will hold, but the wire will break. In 30 years of making various repairs on high end yachts, none that I can remember used soldered connections and none of the companies I worked for permitted their use. I was also involved in an EAA chapter and of maybe 20 aircraft I had personal experience with, none of them were built using soldered electrical systems. I would simply twist the wires together and put heat shrink tubing over the splice before I would use a soldered joint. I have seen fractured soldered wire connections. I've never seen a wire broken off of a crimp connector due to vibration. For corrosion protection, a little grease will work fine. Connections can be greased and then have heat shrink applied over it to seal the grease and connection.

Yep, they make a crimp connector for any application you can imagine. :-)

Earl
    It seems a company called Swenco products has developed the ultimate no-fuss, and dare I say correct, alternative to soldering.....

No crimp connectors, and no crimp electrical connectors. Stronger than crimping & reusable.

Looks like Wal-Mart, Carquest and Napa carry the full line. I'm running out to get some tonight!!

Chad

As an engineer at a military avionics company, I observed that the technicans never simply soldered a joint. They used a heat shink tube with a low temp solder already in place. This way there is no flex of the joint.

Here's a link to something I found on the web that is similar. They are pricey, but very reliable. They seal out moisture, keeping corrosion of the joint to a minimum and take up very little room in your harness.

http://proserveelectric.com/category...148955&CFTOKEN=
    Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2006, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hungryman
      As an engineer at a military avionics company, I observed that the technicans never simply soldered a joint. They used a heat shink tube with a low temp solder already in place. This way there is no flex of the joint.

Here's a link to something I found on the web that is similar. They are pricey, but very reliable. They seal out moisture, keeping corrosion of the joint to a minimum and take up very little room in your harness.

http://proserveelectric.com/category...48955&CFTOKEN=
      Any connection, soldered or simply twisted, that I've ever made on my bike has has heat shrink insulation put over them.

Comment

Originally posted by crc1214
        ....It seems a company called Swenco products has developed the ultimate no-fuss, and dare I say correct, alternative to soldering.....

No crimp connectors, and no crimp electrical connectors. Stronger than crimping & reusable.

Looks like Wal-Mart, Carquest and Napa carry the full line. I'm running out to get some tonight!!

Chad
        I checked these out some time ago. It's an interesting product, but I felt that it was way overpriced and walked out. Those that like to spend $8.00 and more per quart for "motorcycle oil" will probably like these connectors. They should probably market a line as "motorcycle electrical connectors", and then they could charge even more.

Comment

there is no substitute for a soldered and heat shrink covered connection. No doubt a good connection can be made by other means but never as complete as solder.

Comment

Originally posted by crc1214
            Here's a quote from a previous thread.....I wanted to dedicate a seperate thread to this because I believe as many people as possible should know about this product (see below, but please read Earlfor's quote first).

It seems a company called Swenco products has developed the ultimate no-fuss, and dare I say correct, alternative to soldering.....

http://www.posi-lock.com/

Chad
            I bought some a few weeks ago at Autozone! Yes they are pricey, but they did work real nice.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Scotty - what up with the avatar changes my friend? Everytime I look at your avatar, you've got a new pic up there.

Here's the real question..... who the hell is patient enough to stand there and take a picture of you every day? LOL!!

Comment

posi-locks

Yes, they are more expensive, way more that all the "single use" bullet, blade and crimped conectors. The big diference is you can use these over and over again, and rely on them every time.

They are super easy to use, they make a tight conection that does not pull apart, are great in a tough spot on the road when you won't have a soldering iron, soldier, flux, heat shrink, blowdryer, crimping tool, etc. They are far more reliable than the crimped type of conector.

I bought some about 5 years ago. I bought two packages of different sizes. None of them broke or failed. I still have some in my emergency road kit for my car, use them till I get home, take em off and use em again.

nathan

Comment

Working...
                X