Do I need this piece on a petcock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need this piece on a petcock?

I've dismantled the tank, carb, airbox and petcock from my 1978 GS750 for some cleaning and have been using the Alpha-Sports fiche for getting an o-ring kit and various other items. However, I have found on the fiche of the petcock a feeder tube of some kind that supposedly should be mounted inside the tank and into the petcock (see pic below). Is this piece necessary for proper operation of the petcock? And lastly, does anyone know if I can get this piece without ordering an entire new petcock?

Thanks!

That part is the filter. And it is also what makes the reserve setting of the petcock take fuel from lower in the tank and the main from higher in the tank.

So the answer is "yes and no". The bike will run without it, but you will not have a filter, and main and reverve setting will both take fuel from the very bottom of the tank. Not recommended, not only will you not really have a reserve, but you will be sucking fuel from the very very bottom of the tank and doing so without a filter.

I too have noticed that the filter part isnt available seperatley. I do see used petcock on ebay regularly (search for models other than your own), and new ones on occassion.

You are probably also gonna get recommendations to not use the Suzuki stock petcock but to get a Pringle, but I dont have any personall expericnce wioth that.
    Last edited by Redman; 04-11-2006, 04:40 PM.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Taflet,

I believe the piece you are referring to is the pickup for the 'on' and 'reserve' settings of the petcock. The taller tube is 'on' and the shorter one is 'reserve'.

There may also be a screen type filter covering the pickups. I'm not sure of availability.

Thanks,
      Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Redman. After doing some Googling, I assume you were referring to Pingle fuel filters (www.pingelonline.com). It seems they don't have anything for a 1978 from their cross-reference list. Either way...I'm not looking to invest too much yet on this bike, so if I track down a used petcock I'll be happy with that for now. I think I'll give the guys at Sirius Consolidated in Kitchener a call and see if they have something kicking around.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
        X