Taking the Starter clutch cover off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking the Starter clutch cover off?

Ok So I took all the screws off and started to pry the cover off and it stuck. Is there something I need to do besides unscrewing the cover? It almost feels like it has a magnet inside it.

Help

there is a magnet in there. just pull, it will come off, just make sure you pull straight and be careful because the gear for the starter will fall out.

Comment

A little tap with a rubber hammer usually does it. Yes, there is a magnet in there and some guide pins. Just be careful and it should come right off.

Comment

Originally posted by Can_O_Tuna
        A little tap with a rubber hammer usually does it. Yes, there is a magnet in there and some guide pins. Just be careful and it should come right off.
        dont use anything metal to pry it off. i sometimes put a couple of thin piece s of wood in the space just to allow me to get a good grip. make sure the bike doesn fall on you please. It takes quite a bit of pulling.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
          dont use anything metal to pry it off. i sometimes put a couple of thin piece s of wood in the space just to allow me to get a good grip. make sure the bike doesn fall on you please. It takes quite a bit of pulling.
          I wonder if Ice109's stator cover removal tip about using a set off battery cables and a battery might work here?

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
            I wonder if Ice109's stator cover removal tip about using a set off battery cables and a battery might work here?
            Billy sometimes having a good memory can cause much trouble. Now who is going to tell the crazy story and all about how the gs gang came close to tar and feathering of someones college professor lol lol

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
              Billy sometimes having a good memory can cause much trouble. Now who is going to tell the crazy story and all about how the gs gang came close to tar and feathering of someones college professor lol lol
              Let's just leave them scratching their heads.

Comment

Watch out for the 2 shims for the starter gear to see where they fall. Ted

Comment

Thanks everyone

Comment

Since I've already written this up in response to a PM here is what transpired with Ice109.

Ice was a member that used to post a few years back. He was taking electrical engineering if I remember right and he had a college professor that told him he could coil a set of battery cables around the stator cover, hook one set of clamps to the poles of a car battery then connect the positive and negative of the loose ends together and create a magnetic field that would cause the magnet on the end of the crank to lose its effect and the stator cover would just about fall off the crankcase. We had a hell of a time trying to convince him that about all that would happen is he would blow up the car battery. The argument went on for about three weeks. I guess we should have just let him do it.

Comment

Working...
                    X