Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmmm...high idle?

Okay...I'm looking for a starting point on this one. Here's my situation:

1985 GS700e, stock except for 4-1 pipes. No jet kit, has the stock mikuni's. When I start it from cold, it behaves normally, but as it warms, the idle speed goes up. I have a non-functioning tach(read: broke ), but its definately idling high once its warm. If I'm slowing to a stop, when its in gear its normal, but the minute I pull the clutch in, it returns to the high idle.

My uncles (my "bike guys") are babbling on about an "idle screw" that needs adjusting, but if there's one on this bike, its hiding really well. I have a manual ordered, but its on the always entertaining back order, and I'd like to tackle this issue asap, because its flat out annoying. Its times like these I realize how important that manual is.

The choke works normally, and the slide appears to be moving great, not sticking or hanging up. Throttle cable's the same, not hanging up, appears to be adjusted properly, not sticking, looks "normal" to me.

Any ideas? Am I missing something simple here?

(I know...noob with stupid questions. I promise to try not to clutter things up with these sort of threads.)

Originally posted by graymulligan
    Okay...I'm looking for a starting point on this one. Here's my situation:

1985 GS700e, stock except for 4-1 pipes. No jet kit, has the stock mikuni's. When I start it from cold, it behaves normally, but as it warms, the idle speed goes up. I have a non-functioning tach(read: broke ), but its definately idling high once its warm. If I'm slowing to a stop, when its in gear its normal, but the minute I pull the clutch in, it returns to the high idle.

My uncles (my "bike guys") are babbling on about an "idle screw" that needs adjusting, but if there's one on this bike, its hiding really well. I have a manual ordered, but its on the always entertaining back order, and I'd like to tackle this issue asap, because its flat out annoying. Its times like these I realize how important that manual is.

The choke works normally, and the slide appears to be moving great, not sticking or hanging up. Throttle cable's the same, not hanging up, appears to be adjusted properly, not sticking, looks "normal" to me.

Any ideas? Am I missing something simple here?

(I know...noob with stupid questions. I promise to try not to clutter things up with these sort of threads.)
    Could be nothing more than needing to turn the throttle stop back a bit. If you look between the carbs you should see a knurled knob. That's the throttle stop. You might also have leaking intake boots. With the bike running spray some starting fluid around the intake boots and see what it does to the idle. As for the mixture screws they are on top of the intake side of the carbs. If they've never been tampered with they will have plugs over them. If they are unplgged then adjust them for the highest smoothest idle drop then idle to the desired rpm with the throttle stop. My bet is on leaking intakes.

Don't worry, there are no stupid questions here.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2006, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Take a look under and behind your carbs in the middle. I believe you'll see a knob there you can turn to adjust the idle, if your carbs are anything like mine.

Comment

Found the knob between the carbs, gave it a quick 1/4 turn counter clockwise, problem solved. Thanks guys, the help is appreciated. A couple more searches, and I realized I was using the wrong term to search for. Duh.

(and this from a guy who's a moderator/admin on three different nissan forums. I'm always telling the noobs to search different terms, and I didn't follow my own advice...duh. )

Comment

Found the knob between the carbs, gave it a quick 1/4 turn counter clockwise, problem solved. Thanks guys, the help is appreciated. A couple more searches, and I realized I was using the wrong term to search for. Duh.

(and this from a guy who's a moderator/admin on three different nissan forums. I'm always telling the noobs to search different terms, and I didn't follow my own advice...duh. )
          Post some links to the Nissan forums. The wife and I have a Murano and a 350Z.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
            Post some links to the Nissan forums. The wife and I have a Murano and a 350Z.

www.serboard.com (this one's essentially a hang out, not a technical data site)

Both are SER specific sites (although most folks on the serboard don't have ser's anymore...but we haven't left)

Comment

www.thevboard.com
              www.serboard.com (this one's essentially a hang out, not a technical data site)

Both are SER specific sites (although most folks on the serboard don't have ser's anymore...but we haven't left)
              Thanks. When the 350 is out of warranty there are a few mods I want to do. I saw a magazine at Pep Boys with a few bolt on items that give about an extra 45 hp without breaking the bank. I guess I need to get to a news stand and look for it.

Comment

You're describing the classic intake leak symptom. Adjusting the idle adjuster wouldn't "fix" the problem, except temporarily.
                Yes, lowering the idle while the motor is hot will temporarily lower the idle to where you want it, but, after you shut down and cool, upon re-start the bike won't hold an idle now until you manually raise the idle again. Then when it reaches operating temperature again, the high idle will return.
                It's an endless cycle. You have an intake leak, most likely the manifold o-rings (if equipped) or the manifolds themselves. Though you can try snugging the manifold clamps first.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                X