Stuck float??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck float??

Was having trouble with #4 pipe not getting as hot as the rest. Proceeded to tap the bowl and now it seems to get hot. But now when running i've got gas running(pouring) out of the airbox drain right on the exhaust pipe.(NOT good). I've rebuilt the petcock, but occasionally if I leave the bike sit, I get gas into the cylinder and crankcase. This is probably the stuck float valve, right? I bought 4 rebuild kits for the carbs. What are the stock jet sizes for a 82 GS750TZ? Want to make sure the kits have the right size jets. They are K&L. Has anyone used these before? Any good? Thanks.

Dan

Yes, I've used the K&L kits with no problem. I'm not sure of the correct jet sizes, I always cleaned and used my old ones. They don't wear out that often. Mostly got the kits for the needle valves and seats, and mix screws.

It does seem you have a stuck float valve.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Unless their is a question about the original jets I would reuse them. IF you want to use the K&L jets MAKE SURE to compare them to the originals both #size & physically. IT'S a pain But do it right the first time. Complete disassembly & soak for at least 6 hours for each carb, If your motor has manifold O rings Replace them, replace the intake boots if needed and make sure the airbox is sealed properly. It will go along way to making your GS pur like kitten

Comment

Wind in my face now!

Well, I got the carbs rebuilt(halfway anyway) and she runs like a raped ape now. Hitting on all four. I left the sealed up air screws alone for now, though. Someone had the wrong air jet inthe throat of the carbs. But now when I start it up cold, it puffs oil smoke for a short while until it warms up. Is this because the floats let gas in my oil a couple of times and wrecked the valve stem seals? Or is it because I switched to Syntec oil? Got to ride for the first time ever on the backroads of Northern Wis. ,where I grew up.
        That pesky petcock is still leaking even with a rebuild. I've got to crimp off the gas line when stopped. I'll probably put an inline shutoff valve. Or is there a better petcock valve out there? One other question. Is the throttle free play adujusted at the handlebars or at the carbs? Mine seems to have a little to much as it is kind of jerky when you release to shift and then get back on it. Hey but I'm riding!!!! Oh Yeah!!.
        Dan

Comment

Working...
        X