can't find neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't find neutral

Hey Can anyone help with this problem, i cant hit neutral with the engine running on my 80 gs 1000g? as soon as i shut the bike off i can put it in neutral no problem? i know its probably some thing simply, any help would be appreciated.

Re: can't find neutral

Originally posted by wrench
    Hey Can anyone help with this problem, i cant hit neutral with the engine running on my 80 gs 1000g? as soon as i shut the bike off i can put it in neutral no problem? i know its probably some thing simply, any help would be appreciated.
    Is it worse when the engine is cold- and what viscosity oil are you running--when was the last time you adjusted your clutch>???

Comment

can't find neutral

it does'nt seem to matter what temp the engine is, i am using 10/40 oil, the tranny works great but i just have a hard time getting into neutral with the engine running, last oil change was about 2months ago and the problems still there?

Comment

can't find neutral

oops forgot to mention i have'nt adjusted the clutch, i only just got this bike a few moths ago and everything seem too be working excelent apart from this minor irritation

Comment

Re: can't find neutral

Originally posted by wrench
          oops forgot to mention i have'nt adjusted the clutch, i only just got this bike a few moths ago and everything seem too be working excelent apart from this minor irritation
          The first thing to do is check the adjustment--

Comment

can't find neutral

thanks, but maybe you could give me some more detailed information?

Comment

try adjusting the clutch. Mine did that right after I changed my clutch and springs and got better with adjustment and some break-in. Also try shifting to neutral before you come to a complete stop. Just a little forward motion can help...

Comment

Clutch adjusting

I have an 81 GS 1000G and I have the same problem. I adjusted my clutch (this can be done on the right hand side of the engine right by where you add oil) The problem is the clutch is still grabbing while you are sitting there! so you need to make it so that the clutch engages less. Unfortunately on my bike the clutch plates are very worn and it is a fine line I walk between clutch slippage and being able to find neutral!

Comment

can't find neutral

Thanks Karl, ive had the same problem on other bikes and done as you sugested and it cured the problem, i was just a bit concerned with my gs as it shifts so well apart from this minor annoyance that i did'nt want to make any adjustments to a " working very well" clutch.

Comment

So if I am slipping into neutral when shifting from first to second the reverse of this problem could be occurring?

I found it depends what shoes I am wearing, the toes of my boots are not as tall as my work shoes so when I am wearing my boots I have to be very conscious of my shifting.

I dismissed it as a footwear foul-up but I would not want to overlook a potentially serious problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ccammers
                      So if I am slipping into neutral when shifting from first to second the reverse of this problem could be occurring?

I found it depends what shoes I am wearing, the toes of my boots are not as tall as my work shoes so when I am wearing my boots I have to be very conscious of my shifting.

I dismissed it as a footwear foul-up but I would not want to overlook a potentially serious problem.
                      Posibly your size GS has the linkage for shifting. The bell crank mechanisms and the hole in the foot shifter itself may have gotten a bit out of round and left you too much play in the whole operation.

Comment

Can't find neutral

I have a precedure I learned years ago that works well on every bike I've ever ridden, shaft or chain. After coming to a stop, let the clutch out enough to move forward about 4 to 6 inches, immediatley pull it back in & lift the toe. With a little practice I believe you will find it to work almost every time.

Fkirk
                        '80 GS850L & '84 Goldwing Standard

Comment

i'm going try this tomorow, i use tthe same kinda procedure to find reverse in my car, somewhat different but i know where you'r coming from with this advice, thanks, alot mate

Comment

Working...
                          X