'82 1100E K&N Replacement Filter....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 1100E K&N Replacement Filter....

Does'nt seem to fit easily in the airbox. The stock filter has a 'W'-shaped metal tab outside the closed end of the filter, that slides into a similarly shaped tab, and presses the open end of the filter againt the box opening, effectively sealing it.....the K&N item has a metal tube instead of the 'W' tab....does one bend the retaining fixture inside the box to accept the replacement filter? I think that would make it difficult to use a stock one in the future.....anyone using a KN replacement in the 1100E? How did ya get it to fit? Thanks.

Tony.
    '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

No one using this in the 1100E? Did it fit without having to bend the retaining clip? Anyone? Bueller?

Tony.
    '82 GS1100E

Comment

I took the air filter box out all together. now i can easily check the water in the battery also..

I suported the filter with plastic ties over the frame and metal nub at the rear of the filter.

Comment

Cool...I suppose your bike is appropriately jetted. The KN site warns against even taking off the airbox cover, claiming it will create a too lean condition with stock jetting.....I am looking to use the replacement filter to avoid jetting issues with pods etc....however...if I cannot get it to fit without modding the box, I will just throw in the stock filter.

Tony.
        '82 GS1100E

Comment

It should fit like a stock filter without airbox modification. Did you check the part number to make sure that you have the right filter? Whoever sold it to you may have picked the wrong filter.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
            It should fit like a stock filter without airbox modification. Did you check the part number to make sure that you have the right filter? Whoever sold it to you may have picked the wrong filter.
            Yes mine fit in the air box with no problem before i removed the box.

Check your plugs now before removing the airbox. Most bikes are running too rich any way and the mod will just correct the problem. It is a simple jod to adjust the mid range needles anyway. This is done on that machine with small washers as there are no adjustable needles with notches.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq
              Cool...I suppose your bike is appropriately jetted. The KN site warns against even taking off the airbox cover, claiming it will create a too lean condition with stock jetting.....I am looking to use the replacement filter to avoid jetting issues with pods etc....however...if I cannot get it to fit without modding the box, I will just throw in the stock filter.

Tony.
              How do you know your bike is properly jetted now?????

Comment

By the plugs....they are the perfect shade of tan.......and the bike runs/idles/starts very well. Only reason I would like to try the K&N is bec I scored one cheap on ebay....it is the right filter, as I have another that is part of a jet-kit (k&n dynojet stage 1)specifically for this bike.....I suspect it will fit with a little fiddling. I bought the bike with a Wolf 4X1 installed, and the jetting already taken care of....if I have any issues with the running after the KN install, I will go back to the stock paper element. Thanks!

Tony.
                '82 GS1100E

Comment

Well if after you install the filter with or without the filter box read your plugs again and by placing a couple of washers in the proper place will raise the needle and richen the mid range mixture.

Comment

Thanks...got the filter to fit...the metal tab in the box was bent a little too far forward . I was gonna try the Dynojet tapered needles, but will probably keep these carbs as stock as possible.....got a set of Mikunis off of an RF-900, will save the mods for those .....I will need a dynojet kit for them, so I might unload this kit on ebay and buy the other one.

Tony.
                    '82 GS1100E

Comment

Scotty - I recently acquired a 1982 GS750T that has no filter box. Instead of going through the search and financial hassle of getting a stock filter box, I'd like to ask you how you installed the filter on yours without a box.

I've heard of someone taking a K&N pod filter, putting it on the hole coming out of the airbox and restricting the airflow somewhat. Do you have any suggestions or thoughts on this?

Thanks! I appreciate the advice.

Comment

Working...
                      X