eureka, it lives...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eureka, it lives...

a respectful hello to all forum members from a relative newbie. i've just spent the most frustrating week trying to get my 1980 750E to run right.( stock, 4000 miles on motor). i took the carbs apart and soaked them twice and blew them out fully with compressed air. because all of my previous experience with UJM'S were 70's 650 & 1000 Kawi's with more conventional throttle slide type carbs i didn't realize how important a tight seal BEFORE the carb throats was required for a CV type carb. adding to my confusion was the fact that my bike was missing the air filter housing when i bought it so i had to buy a used housing from a local parts guy. turns out this housing was from a gs1000 ( who knows what year) and the previous owner had drilled numerous dime sized holes in it as well as expanded what looked like 2 silver dollar sized holes into one big hole! so i covered most of the holes except for the two dollar sized ones and made sure my seals were air tight and through trial and error i got the beast to run almost properly tonite. it still won't hold an idle too long at 1000rpm but it will respond to throttle input when warm. i'm going to try and synch the carbs tomorrow to see whether that'll cure the low idle problem. so i guess the morale of the story is make sure your air cleaner housing and intake boots into the carbs are airtight as can be when dealing with a CV type carb. man i wish somebody had told me that.....

You may still have too much air coming in. you'll have to do some plug chops to see where you are once you put it on the street. The 1000 would have more air coming through the box than your 750.

Comment

Maybe you just need to crank up the idle adj screw between the carbs? That may keep the idle at 1000-1100.

Comment

Compression and valve clearances must be checked as well. If either of those are way off your bike will idle like crap.

Comment

don't forget the vent lines

Remember that the carb vent lines need to bee connected to the airbox... if running pods it seems to be a non issue... but you got an airbox and they need to be connected there should be two one btwn 1&2 and the other btwn 3&4..

Comment

Working...
          X