Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1985 GS750E tough to start, but once fired runs great and fires up again no issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 GS750E tough to start, but once fired runs great and fires up again no issues.

Just bought a 1985 GS750. Put in a new battery and it fired up no problem. Two days later it wouldn't fire. After playing around it fired. Right now battery is charing and i am changing the plugs. Any help on to why it diesn't fire right away would help

does it have an electronic ign. Maybe points are off gap or possible timing issue? some more details please

Comment

Chances are the carbs need cleaning or the choke cable is not adjusted properly
      Another thing - When cold starting, put it on prime for 5 seconds Full choke, NO throdle hit the start button & it should fire
      Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2006, 02:53 AM.

Comment

had the same problem on my 78 550, my points need some adjustment

Comment

Ignition type

I've got an 83 GS750ES and its got an electronic ignition, so I'd have to assume your 85 does as well. When I start mine cold it needs lots of choke. By cold I mean turned off for an hour or more. You would think in
          Jax, FL in the summer it wouldn't need choke but it does. Once it fires I have to twist the throttle to get it to idle up. How much choke are you using to start it?

Comment

Full choke appears to be a common requirement on most GS's. Both my '80 550L and my '83 1100G are VERY resistant to starting when cold, and both require full choke and a lot of cranking. I've never tried the "prime" suggestion on the '83, and the '80 has a totally automatic "vacuum" petcock (all the '80's do), so that isn't even an option on the 550.

I suspect both of my bikes could use a carb cleaning, so that certainly plays into it to some degree ... but in any case make sure you apply FULL choke with no gas for the most consistent result.

Regards,

Comment

Use your prime function when starting to get the carb bowls filled. Don't forget to take it off prime after starting. Try running some Berryman's in your gas for a few tanks. It might clean them up a bit.

Comment

Forgetting the "prime" is on is a REAL DRAG!! I did some work on my bike last year with a few friends, and one of them switched the bike to prime without my knowing it (and he forgot to switch it back).

Several weeks later I set off for a long weekend trip (Brown County) and suffered several problems (starter motor died enroute, etc.) while trying to figure out why the bike was running so badly. We rode an hour and a half, stopping on and off trying to diagnose the problem before finally realizing that the engine was drowning in fuel (the quickly moving fuel gauge finally gave it away)! Switched it back to "run" and voila ... all was good!

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                X