Washing: the fear of water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washing: the fear of water

This bike probably hasn't been washed in 5 or more years. There's literally centimeters of dirt accumulated in some places (on top of the crank case, the rear fender underneath the seat, around the triple clamp... a ton of dirt has accumulated under the seat in general. It would take hours to try and clean it out with towels etc.

If I remove the filter and cover the airbox, and disconnect and remove the battery, am I missing some big risk of just rinsing out everything under the seat? I know not to pressure wash or anything, but I didn't know what the danger might be of rinsing it out with just water. My plan was to then leave the bike for a couple days so everything can dry prior to reconnecting the battery.

Thank you very much. My hope is to at least get the bike clean before moving forward with my fixer-upper maintenance.

Water is not going to hurt your bike Spray it down with some orange clean, 409, simple green & Hose it off

Comment

Cool thanks Lynn, I was hoping that's what I'd hear. Time to put that concentrated simple green to work!

Comment

Originally posted by J_C
        If I remove the filter and cover the airbox, and disconnect and remove the battery, am I missing some big risk of just rinsing out everything under the seat? I know not to pressure wash or anything, but I didn't know what the danger might be of rinsing it out with just water. My plan was to then leave the bike for a couple days so everything can dry prior to reconnecting the battery.

Thank you very much. My hope is to at least get the bike clean before moving forward with my fixer-upper maintenance.
        A couple of thoughts, fiirst if you are really going to blast it and soak it, make sure that all the electrical connections are sealed from water penetration. Some connectors may have cracks and water may fill a connector housing and short accross the terminals if the water doesn't evaporate before start up, even after a couple of days. In view of the above why not take the time to check and clean all the terminal connectors while you are waiting for it to dry. Get rid of the corrosion and check for dryness at the same time.

Comment

Man, you should have been on our Moosehead ride last year. over 1000 miles is absolutely drenching rain. Have no fear with water, just don't shoot a jet stream at any of the electrical system.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by retrex
            A couple of thoughts, fiirst if you are really going to blast it and soak it, make sure that all the electrical connections are sealed from water penetration. Some connectors may have cracks and water may fill a connector housing and short accross the terminals if the water doesn't evaporate before start up, even after a couple of days. In view of the above why not take the time to check and clean all the terminal connectors while you are waiting for it to dry. Get rid of the corrosion and check for dryness at the same time.

This sounds like a great idea. Is there a best practice for doing this? Sand paper? new connectors? etc?

Comment

Originally posted by J_C
              This sounds like a great idea. Is there a best practice for doing this? Sand paper? new connectors? etc?
              Yes, sand paper if corroded....new connectors if really bad or broken and use dielectric grease on all of them.

Comment

Whatever you do leaving the dirt there is worse than any hosing you do. The dirt will just retain moisture and cause rust. YUCK! Good luck!

Comment

I usually consider a thick coating of last year's bugs to be sort of a good luck talisman. You don't want to wash off the layers of good luck by artificial means, or the spirits of thousands of departed insects will haunt your ride. It is considered acceptable to clean your headlight and jacket by riding for extended distances in driving rain.

But yeah, get that dirt and grime off the engine with water and Simple Green. Grunge is only offensive when it interferes with function.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

:grin: Thanks folks. Will wash this weekend, as well as sanding and replacing the connectors \\/

Comment

Simple Green is not recommended for aluminum.

Comment

I though with the title of this thread it was about the French.:-D

Comment

Originally posted by vstan905
                          Simple Green is not recommended for aluminum.

I thought that's what everyone used to get rid of the surface grime from the seeping head gasket...

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                            I usually consider a thick coating of last year's bugs to be sort of a good luck talisman. You don't want to wash off the layers of good luck by artificial means, or the spirits of thousands of departed insects will haunt your ride. It is considered acceptable to clean your headlight and jacket by riding for extended distances in driving rain.

But yeah, get that dirt and grime off the engine with water and Simple Green. Grunge is only offensive when it interferes with function.

You would be proud to ride my radian then. I haven't washed it ever. I even have bug guts from 5 years ago on my jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by J_C
                              Cool thanks Lynn, I was hoping that's what I'd hear. Time to put that concentrated simple green to work!
                              Dilute it on the painted areas please

Comment

Working...
                              X