Leaking banjos, what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking banjos, what to do?

Aaaarh, starting the '79 1000 up, after only a few seconds fuel started pouring out of the carbs. After shutting off and tracing i found out that the banjos connecting the carbs are leaking.

I think/fear the rubber has deteriorated due to age and is now not flexible or thick enough to create a tight seal. So, tore the carbs apart and have sought all over for new ones...

Can anyone help me on what to do ?
    Replace with new, but where do i get them?
    grind the old rubber edges off and replace them with O-rings?
    Coat them with liquid sealant and shove 'em back in?
    Buy new flatslides, a big bore kit and overhaul the engine? \\/

Thanx !

Yikes, listed as discontinued!

If it were me, I would probably find a newer set of carbs that have more parts available, but in the meantime I'd probably use some sealant.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Use a small O ring on the fitting When it is squished together on assembly it will seal them. If you are really stuck you can get a replacement from www.motorcyclecarbs.com $$$$$

Comment

Thanx for the replies.

Think i'll go with the O-ring, ans throw in some sealant in the carb housing for good measure... oh yeah, and save up for ne carbs :-)

Comment

Half a dozen wraps with teflon tape may also allow the ends to seal.
          Earl
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

What kind of sealand would be trustworthy around gasoline?? It seems to eat through just about anything you can throw at it.

Comment

I wouldn't use sealant. Too easy for it to end up in the carbs and clog passages. O-rings are your best bet.

Comment

Working...
              X