Tach dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach dead

The tacometer on my 81 GS650G just died. It went way up on the scale and then just died. How do I replace the Tach cable?

Stephen

IF... it's the cable just buy a new one and route it along the old one. Disconnect each end and screw in the new ones. Maybe there's a chance either end just came loose. I don't quite understand why the tach needle would just shoot up like that though.Were you revving it up at the time?
    Anyone else have any ideas?

Comment

tach dead

Pulled cable out last night, the end thatgoes to engine has a piece inside that broke off. All it needs ( I think ) is a new cable

Stephen

Comment

Re: tach dead

Originally posted by Stephen
        Pulled cable out last night, the end thatgoes to engine has a piece inside that broke off. All it needs ( I think ) is a new cable

Stephen
        If the end-fitting has come loose, but is intact, you may be able to re-attach it. Glue is not likely to work...too much torque, especially at high RPMs, solder may work, though, if you first grind down a bit of the cable end to flaten it and receive the solder.
        Alternatively you can do what the factory did and crimp it back in place.
        Cable crimps of the right diameter would work , but most are for larger cable, so a vise with a V-notch is next, especially if you grind the cable to accept the V. Grinding must be very light or it will go off-centre and fail.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

if you don't want to fix it again next month REPLACE the cable.

Comment

Working...
          X