Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ongoing 1982 GS1100G clutch woes

Hey gang,

I am reaching the end of my rope with the clutch on my GS1100G. When I got it back from the shop, the clutch lever was VERY heavy, and you could only shift gears with the lever in one exact spot. After speaking with several experts, I replaced the steel plates and cable, and added OEM springs to lighten the lever. After putting it all back together, the lever has no resistance at all, and it appears that the activator that pulls the clutch plate free doesn't move more than 1/8". This is not enough to disengage the clutch plates, so you can get the wheel to stop turning when in gear.

ANY thoughts would be helpful since the riding season is suddnely upon us here in the Chicago area.

Also looking for a factory 4-into-2 exhaust.

Thank you,
    Doug

Where in the area are you located? You're in luck, because there is a pretty active group of Chicagoland GS'rs around ... we ride a lot together, and also wrench together from time to time. I suspect one or more of us might be able to help you work out the problem.

By the way, you mention that the clutch was heavy when you got it back from "the shop." Where'd you take it, and why didn't they address the problem directly (since it sounds as if you weren't having the problem BEFORE it went to the shop)?

Regards,

Comment

I'm guessing that the clutch arm lever is not aligned properly, so you need to remove the cover & check assembly

Comment

I agree the clutch arm lever is not aligned properly.
        1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          I'm guessing that the clutch arm lever is not aligned properly, so you need to remove the cover & check assembly

Second possibility...and you do not have to re-open the housing for it,
          is that when fitting the lever back on the post, (follow the cable to the fitting at the top, right of the clutch cover)) it was rotated a bit too much, and is off a couple of notches . I would check that first.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
            Second possibility...and you do not have to re-open the housing for it,
            is that when fitting the lever back on the post, (follow the cable to the fitting at the top, right of the clutch cover)) it was rotated a bit too much, and is off a couple of notches . I would check that first.
            I "second" that second possibility ... had to play around with mine when I changed to clutch in order to get it back on in the proper position...

Regards,

Comment

Did you mention this to the shop? What did they have to say about it?

Comment

Working...
              X