81 GS 850G MAC exhaust followup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS 850G MAC exhaust followup

Researched GS850G exhaust system at Bike Bandit. Comparing the '80 & '81 models I found every part in the system had the same part number from Bike Bandit/ Seems strange that the MAC system therefore would only fit up to 1980 and not 1981 & beyond. Especially so if all other pipe manufacturers I can find make no distinction between these years.

I put in a question at MAC & as I work p/t at a Suzuki dealer will ask them to cross check the parts.

It would seem (???) that if all the exhaust system parts are same numbers that anything that fits 1980 would fit 1981.

Any 81 850G owners out there looking at this too? More heads the merrier.

DH

Off the top of my head, my understanding of this is that after '79 a piece was added to the exhaust and some sort of "hanger" was provided under the engine to connect the exhaust to that previous models did not have....but the older exhaust will still fit.

Again, that's the best I can do, you've been asking for a while now and I thought I'd give you something anyway. Check out the exhaust diagrams on bikebandit.

Again, I'm not excatly sure, but that is my understanding.

Comment

Thanks Mark

Yeah I been bangin' this one here for a long time. Just figured out ther someone already went through it & knew the answer. Thanks agin' if I find money I'll buy one & let others know,

DH

Comment

When I got home tonight I checked out the schematic on bikebandit and it seems that I was basically right. The 1980 850model has a connector piece that previous models didn't have, but its basically the same exhaust, so in theory an exhaust for a '79 should fit an '80. That's why they are telling you that even though it isn't listed for later bikes their exhaust should fit.

Check it out.http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...me~GS850GT.asp

Comment

850 exhaust differences

Hi Mark, & others reading. Went back to the '79 muffler blowup. I gather what you refer to is the "H" shaped connecter joining the two inner headers????
          I see the '79 model doesn't have this but it comes on in '80.

I was looking at the '80 & '81 versions & those are identical it seemed going number by number. Mine is an '81.

I called MAC & the guy I spoke to had no clue but said he would check it out & get back to me. He didn't sound too enthused. I do believe the pipes will fit with no problem & the listing that goes up to '80 only is due to no one ever really looking at it so the listing never got updated by MAC & therefore any suppliers that carried it. Bet it fit thru '83.

Trying to find what finish & muffler styles are available. Sort of fancy the tapered but megaphone would do.

Thanks for your continued attention. Hope I get a response from MAC soon.

DH8-[

Comment

Originally posted by suzukizone
            Hi Mark, & others reading. Went back to the '79 muffler blowup. I gather what you refer to is the "H" shaped connecter joining the two inner headers????
            Yup. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
            X