weird backfiring all of a sudden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weird backfiring all of a sudden

As of today, my 1980 GS850G is making a wierd backfiring noise. It sounds high-pitched, almost like it's got a bit of a whistle to it. I just changed the oil and filter yesterday, so could that be causing this? It seems to be coming out of the left side only.

air

sounds like an air leak

Comment

Headgasket letting go....

Comment

The head gasket looks good, and there's not even any seepage coming from it. I don't know much about the mechanical stuff though, so it could be that and I can't see it.

I just went and took it around the block, and the sound only seems to happen when I'm slowing down or idling. It sounds like a backfire, but not quite. It's not as deep or booming as that, and actually it's quite high-pitched and sudden.

If you ever listen to mp3 music, it sounds like when an mp3 "skips" and that's the best way I can describe it.

As for the air leak... what is that and is there anything I can do to fix it?

Comment

Check the exhuast over for holes. He is referring to an airleak on the exhuast system. It may be at the header gasket. An air leak will cause a backfire on decel.

Allen

Comment

What about a hole in the exhaust under the bike? I did notice a small hole right around where the H-shaped exhaust connector is under there. That's also kind of where it sounds like the noise is coming from.

Can I repair that easily, and will it cause damage to the bike when it pops like that?

Comment

mine has popped before, I have holes in the exhaust. Since the weather has gotten warm it has gotten worse. I think its just something ill have to deal with untill I fix my exhaust and adjust the valves.

Comment

That could be your problem. If they are small you may be able to seal it with JB weld or exhaust putty. JB Weld runs about $6 at Walmart.

My old virago had straight pipes that would make it pop on decel. With the holes down there that is essentially what you have.

Allen

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'm going to clean it all up and take a good look down there tomorrow. It just surprized me how sharp and loud that noise was... sounds like a bottle-rocket firecracker going off. I thought a piston was about to come shooting up through the gas tank the first time I heard it!

Comment

That is an exhaust leak for sure. Take a good look and try to seal it all up. I have made patches from tin cans and used JB weld to glue them on. Some tape to hold it while it sets up it a must. There is also JB Quick which is 5 minute weld. The other stuffs needs 24 hours to cure.

You may find that the entire crossover is rusted out.

Allen

Comment

This thread may apply to your bike condition.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what causes the noise when it backfires like that? I mean, how does a hole in the pipe cause it to do that?

Comment

Working...
                        X