Help Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Help

Ok first let me say this had been an awesome site. ok now my problem i have a 1982 gs850L. A little history on the bike i recieved from my boss for nothing it was a basket case. i put it back together and had the carbs rebuilt and synched by a actual tech. i rode it un-knowing theat the air filter was crap and got a mix of oil and gas in the oil resevoir. so i drained the oil and put in new and went to buy an air filter and found it was rqather expensive so with some rather redneckish engineering i wrapped an olt t-shirt around the filter cage and ran like a charm. took a road trip and up around 65 to 70 i went to hammer on it to pass a car and it gurgled and died. pulled over it fired right upand ran fine but up around the spped it would start to gurgle and die out so i just stayed around 60 and it was good. the next day i was in third i went to hammer on it and once again it gurgled and died. i didnt ride it for a week or so and got on it today and it was ok for about a mile then in first it gurgled and dies and was very hard to start had top crank on it for a bit and i hobbled it home and now im at wits end. i have heard nothing but good things about the gs and i dont wanna just give up so any and all help is greatly appreciated. sorry for the long post but i wanted all the details in if any questions about anything i left out my email is kritical6969@yahoo.com email me and ill get back to you i realy need help thanks guys

I would find an oem style filter, but I think the problem may be deeper. Is there rust in the tank? It may be filtering into you carbs. As for the gas in the oil was the petcock left on prime? If not then you may have some other carb problems.

Don't give up. The bike will be like new soon.

Allen

Comment

Drain a carb and see if anything besides gas comes out

What does the inside of the gas tank look like?

Did you rebuild the petcock? A kit is $22 on Ebay

A bike that sat that long will have some problems. You can either work thru them as they arise or go back and check everything before you ride again.

And buy an air filter. You want the bike to have a chance. It could be it sucked in some of that redneck air filter
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Was it a clean t-shirt? I think you got rust in the tank that is coming through.

Allen

Comment

I would see if it ate the T-shirt.

Remove said T-shirt and buy an air filter.
          Then ride.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
          X