GS1000S 1981 ??? compatible Parts ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000S 1981 ??? compatible Parts ???

...Where yas get time to sit at a computer when yas have the schmick bikes and depth of Knowledge yas have I dun know...

....but since yas do it so well.....

mebe I could get some of your best advice on what years/models of bikes and their parts can I use to keep this old GS1000S road ready.

I grabbed her off Ebay - she runs like a dream now - but has already thrown a starter and starter clutch....

I replaced the starter motor with one off a 750 thanks to another of your threads here....

...With the difficulty I had getting exact parts, I think I need to get parts in advance if I can - and i got no idea how they compare from model to model....

gr8ful for your responses

cheers
    Phark
    If I were you I wouldnt ask me

Bumped by a noob

Bumped by a noob\\/

Thx for readin - any clues would be gr8.....

....I rode her for hours and she never got sore - just low on fuel.....

Comment

99% of the Chain drive GS1000 range are compatible. The only differences are as follows. when the EN model upgraded to the ET model, the disc brakes got a re-vamp with different master cylinder and beefier calipers with slotted discs. The electricals went from points to CDI electronic and the seperate regulator and rectifier went to a combined unit as did the fuse box.The carbs went from VM sliders to 34mmCV vaccum. other than the obvious cosmetics of the 'S' clocks and cockpit fairing,the only other difference is the 'S' has an 18in rear wheel wheras the EN and ET have 17in. All in all,you can play with electrics and brakes /wheels etc but You can't play around with carbs as the VM slider carbs will NOT fit a CV type head and visa/versa as the centers measure different.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharkmeh
        ...mebe I could get some of your best advice on what years/models of bikes and their parts can I use to keep this old GS1000S road ready....
        There doesn't seem to be much part number info available for a 1981 GS1000S, but a 1980 GS1000S should be basically the same. A relatively easy way to do this is to go to sites with part numbers shown shown with exploded drawings on fiche such as:
        Alpha Sports or
        Alamo Cycle-Plex or
        Bike Bandit

Alpha Sports and sometimes Bike Bandit will show the part number even if it is discontinued. Once you have the part number, you can compare it with similar models (750, 850, 1000, 1100) around the same time frame to see if the part numbers match. If so, you know that it will work.

Comment

Thx Heaps u Guyz

Thx for the info...

Just saw one of these old bikes fully restored with more shiney chrome than it ever had.....geese it was sweet....

...dunno how much time and money the bloke put into it - but Im sure to find out lol...

Cheers and thx again for the posts.....

...I rode her for hours and she never got sore, just low on fuel...

Comment

1000s

Hey i seen u up the mountain today (sun). And its not chrome its alloy LOL

Comment

Oops- Spotted

from sharpy - Hey i seen u up the mountain today (sun). And its not chrome its alloy LOL
              Ha Ha - yes you did m8 - beaut mornin for a ride....

...sweet bike u got btw - very nice work - how long does it take you to polish those "Alloy Spoke" wheels till they look like chrome...jkn:-D

Hope to keep in touch for some restoration tips...

... not gunna begin to touch mine up till I get the hang of ridin it - only had her a couple weeks and shes still a bit of a mystery with an unknown factor going into more turns than I care for runnin through the mountain...

...all in all its a pretty forgiving bike offering no complaints at hauling my 130kg arse around and sounds nice doing it...

cheers m8 - may catchya round the mountain agin some time\\/

A Woman's Rule of Thumb: If it has tyres or testicles, you're going to have trouble with it.

Comment

Working...
              X