Petcock, (yeah another one!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock, (yeah another one!)

I have learned that the petcock on my 80 1100L is a "special" one...i.e. PITA!
    Please don't say Pingel as I was going to replace it but my funding had to be put into something else. So here is my questions, the stock petcock has only one position and that is prime and to move it you use as flat head screwdriver. Where do you position the "switch" after you're done with the prime? Straight up and down? Horizontal? Does it matter as long as it's not on the prime position? Second question, reinstalling the petcock onto the tank, is there a paper gasket I should be making for this to go between the petcock and the tank? I had the tank cleaned and sealed by a Radiator shop and am now ready to re-install everything. Thanks for all your help-Pete

Tanked

on my 80 GS1000G it uses O-Rings not sure abuout your.

Comment

The slot in the petcock should be horizontal or " - ". Don't leave the slot in the vertical position " l " as this will leave the tank on the PRIME position (aka gas can now flow without the application of vacuum to the petcock.

You should have a rubber gasket between the petcock and gas tank. Your local Suzuki dealer should be able to get one for you.

Comment

'preciated

Thanks for the info Jay. Yes, I picked up a gasket from the dealer the other day. Appreciate all your help. -Pete

Comment

I went through all that with my GS, I ended up fitting an inline on/off switch/lever even after fitting new gaskets, as it still leaked.

Comment

Originally posted by feelergaugephil
            I went through all that with my GS, I ended up fitting an inline on/off switch/lever even after fitting new gaskets, as it still leaked.
            I did the same thing, I got a Briggs and Stratton On/Off and put it in after the petcock. I just don't trust that stupid petcock any more after changing my oil SEVERAL times because of gas not being stopped.

Comment

Working...
            X