GS750B charge issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750B charge issues

Ive got a '77 GS750B and ive developed charge issues.

I installed a new battery about 18mths ago, have done 40000Km in that time, and now the battery is completely dead again.

I have noticed (even with the new battery) that the headlights dim and flash when I use the indicators at night.

The charge system "appears" to be working fine but Im not 100% certain as to how to test it.

Is a new regulator/rectifier unit likely to fix this and maybe save the stator??

http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfacts.htm

Comment

had the same problem on mine,found it to be the rectum frier,and a bad earth wire

Comment

Originally posted by GS750
        Ive got a '77 GS750B and ive developed charge issues.

I installed a new battery about 18mths ago, have done 40000Km in that time, and now the battery is completely dead again.

I have noticed (even with the new battery) that the headlights dim and flash when I use the indicators at night.

The charge system "appears" to be working fine but Im not 100% certain as to how to test it.

Is a new regulator/rectifier unit likely to fix this and maybe save the stator??
        You have more mileage on your "new" battery than many have on the entire life of their bike. Have you ever noticed that motorcycle battery warranties usually are about 6 months unless you pay a lot more for a premium battery. Even then, the warranty period isn't very long. After 40,000Km (24,855 miles) your battery isn't "new" any more, but may be used up. It has been subjected to a very unsophisticated motorcycle charging system for all that distance, which takes its toll along with normal aging.

You can find the instructions for checking the charging system in the Stator Papers section of In the Garage. You could have a charging problem, especially with the mileage you cover. If not, you're fortunate and the battery may have given up after covering a lot of ground.

Comment

Working...
        X