X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Betcha never seen THIS before!!!

pic #1 guess what happened??

Here's a better Pic...
    I will thank everyone for their wonderful advice regarding the dumba$$ dealer....
    Let's see...
    My carb is screwed up, there is no other way to put it..The dumb-a$$ dealer more or less said I was SOL WHY?? Because the dont make floats for my bike anymore (notice how mine is COOKED??) as well as the needle (?). And, the previous owner, the smart guy that he was, tried to get the float off, for whatever dumb-a$$ reason and BROKE the thing that hols the float pin in place..(you can see VERY close up how he tried to repair it) Dang blasted SOB,.......
    ANYWAY..... I throw myself at the mercy of you folks here...HELP!! Please...
    My bike is a 1980 550E with 6747 miles on it, and this apparently is what has been the cause of the back-firing, and rough idle. {{{sigh}}} The dealer said my only recourse was to find old carbs in a junkyard, or on e-bay. I , however, think I can find the floats and the needle thingy.
    What should I do???

EDIT: I THINK I found the floats on bikebandit!!! What is the needle thingy called underneath?? The broken part, how can that be repaired??
    I bow to you......
    Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2006, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Is the post for the float pin broken or is it suppose to be that way? The pictures are a little blurry.

I am sure somebody has those parts in the box under the workbench.

Allen

Comment

The tower for the float pin is broken. This isn't uncommon. The trick is to brace the tower against a solid object before tapping the pin out. Your best bet is to find a replacement carb body. Somebody here will probably have one or try eBay.............

Good luck,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
          The tower for the float pin is broken. This isn't uncommon. The trick is to brace the tower against a solid object before tapping the pin out. Your best bet is to find a replacement carb body. Somebody here will probably have one or try eBay.............

Good luck,
          Joe
          There is no way to tap that "tower" out, and tap something else in??

Comment

Bikebandit shows floats for some of the mikunis. One I looked up was $17. Ray
            "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
            GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
            1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
            1979 GS1000SN The new hope
            1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

When I did that to my carb I still had the broken piece. If you know someone who can TiG weld with some finesse, the broken tower can be repaired. I fixed mine about 10 years ago and it's been fine. Be real careful removing the pin from the remaining tower. I dont think it would be good to have two repaired towers on one carb.

Comment

I have found the floats...THANK GOD! And the needle on bike bandit.
                Wizard, I am going to talk to the @*&%* dealer tomorrow, and tell those @#*^ heads I found the parts...and TELL them to tig weld it...good idea...
                They are so WORTHLESS!!! I kind of getting the feeling they wanna grab my bike from me for nothing
                Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2006, 09:01 PM.

Comment

They might do more damage if they try to tig weld it. JBWeld works just fine though. Be careful to not goop up the hole.

And for the pics, try backing up a few feet and using the zoom to get to your subject. Point and shoot cameras have a real hard time focusing on a very close subject.

Good luck with this....

Comment

I've found that the dealer is the last place you want to go for help with these bikes. I've also found that GSR is the first place. From here you will be pointed at any place that has a chance of getting you what you need. Good luck!

Comment

Janice, If I had a carb, I'd give it to you but sadly, I don't.
                      Keep checking here though, something is bound to turn up.:-D

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
                        They might do more damage if they try to tig weld it. JBWeld works just fine though. Be careful to not goop up the hole.

Good luck with this....
                        The only dealer I would CONSIDER trusting with this kind of work would be one that has MANY years experience of working on OLD Harleys.
                        Some old geezer with a long greay/white beard. Preferable one who still rides his old kick start shovel head.........
                        But then again...... he'd probably just look at you and say...... "What!? Me work on one of them NEW Suzuki GS bikes? NO WAY too new for me!"

Comment

Originally posted by speedzter2000
                          I have found the floats...THANK GOD! And the needle on bike bandit.
                          Wizard, I am going to talk to the @*&%* dealer tomorrow, and tell those @#*^ heads I found the parts...and TELL them to tig weld it...good idea...
                          They are so WORTHLESS!!! I kind of getting the feeling they wanna grab my bike from me for nothing

I have found if you have a good old bike. do not take it to a bike shop. thay will try like heck to get it for them selfs. yes thay know what its worth and thay will try to get it for penneys on the doller.

when i had mine, every time i rode it to get parts for general repairs the staff would file out of the building to look. the parts man would say we can not get parts. you just need to sell it becouse nobody can work on it.

if gs would pull the clasic out of moth balls thay would sell like popcorn.

Comment

What size CV carbs does a 550 use?

Earl

Originally posted by 8trackmind
                            Janice, If I had a carb, I'd give it to you but sadly, I don't.
                            Keep checking here though, something is bound to turn up.:-D
                            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                              What size CV carbs does a 550 use?

Earl

GS550 (80-82) the specs are for the CV's

idle r/min 1100-+/-100r/min
                              carb mik bs32ss (4 seprate carbs)
                              id no 47160 (us) 47170 (can)
                              bore size 32 (1.26)
                              float height 22.4.+/-1.0 (0.88 +/-0.04)
                              fuel level 5.0+/-0.5 (0.20 +/-0.04)
                              main jet #92.5
                              main air jet 1.6
                              jet needle (4bel2 us model) (5f42-3rd notch canadian adjusable needle)
                              needle jet x-6
                              pilot jet #40
                              throttle valve #135
                              by pass (0.9, 0.7, 0.7 us model) (1.0,0.8,0.8 canadian)
                              pilot outlet 0.7
                              valve seat 2.0
                              starter jet #35
                              pilot screw 3.5 turns back (mixture screw)
                              pilot air jet (us model #150) (#120 canadian)

Comment

Working...
                              X