Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'82 GS850GZ oil leak from "weep hole" cured!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS850GZ oil leak from "weep hole" cured!

A while back, I posted a thread titled <<Engine oil leak from lower crankcase "weep hole">>

If you've had this problem and determined that it is not a faulty starter "O" ring, this might be of help.

I was mystified by this intermittent oil leak from a drain hole on the shifter side of the lower crankcase. It was worse when it was cold outdoors. The forward shaft drive oil reservoir would also fill with motor oil. Dirty oil would pour out when I removed the oil level check screw

In the end, as noted in the original post, I decided to re-torque the crankcases. It took me a while to get around to it. When I did, I discovered that all of the fasteners were properly torqued with two exceptions: the two bolts that run on either side of the oil filler cap for the shaft drive.

The bolts run all the way through the crankcase and have nuts which are accessible on the bottom of the crankcase, in front of the shifter shaft. I took the side cover off which made seeing/accessing them easier.

After tightening the two bolts & nuts at both ends, I have run the bike for two weeks without a drop of oil seeming to leak. The shaft drive oil has stayed at the proper level and there doesn't seem to be any engine oil migrating where it shouldn't.:-D

The previous owner had the shaft oil changed. I wonder if whoever did that loosened the two bolts on either side of the filler cap by mistake.

CCMcC
    '82 GS850GZ
    '88 Husqvarna 510TE

Good for you. Otherwise you have to replace a seal inside the cases to keep the 2 oils seperated.

Comment

You are a lucky, lucky, lucky person! Congratulations!

Good info to know, too.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for the replies...

I just got back from a ride. She's still running great and I'm a happy man.

Caleb

Comment

Working...
        X