battery/stator vulnerability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery/stator vulnerability?

I recently put a cyclesound with a radio that has a clock. Due to the history of these bikes (mine is a 81 gs850gl) I did not wire it so there is any draw unless the key is in the "on" position. But, this means my clock and also the memory of radio stations do not work on the radio. (of course the radio and tape player work fine when it is "on".
    It is no real big deal but does anyone know if the electrical system can take a little draw when the key is not on without killing the battery?
    I have not taken readings of voltage at certain revs or when it is off and a little voice says to leave it as I have it.
    I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with wiring a radio so the memory will me maintained with a small constant draw on a 81 gs850?

As long as you ride often the drain shouldn't be a problem. You could always keep it on a battery tender if you're worried about it though.

Comment

It shouldnt draw too much if your just out and about. But I would want to put it on a battery tender every night just as a precaution.

Comment

The draw for memory of a radio for presets and such is in the milliamps. Not bad for a car battery with plenty of reserve (CCA). Bike Batteries are seriously lacking in this respect. A tender hooked to the battery all the time works of course but will shorten the life of the battery since it is stimulating constantly. The most modern battery you can find with the highest CCA is your best bet. And to ride regularly. They have bike maintenance free batteries now that are a bit healthier than the old style.

Comment

Working...
        X