Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter clutch removal

I am attempting to change the starter clutch on my 79
    gs 1000. I am having trouble finding a rotor removal tool or another way remove the rotor. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice. Thanks

I got mine by going to a local dirt bike shop and having them order the removal tool from one of their specialty bike tool catalogs. If not that, Call Rob at cyclerecycle in indianapolis at 317 634 7550. I sure he can fix you up. :-)
    Mine cost about $27 if I remember correctly. That may sound like a lot, but its cheap compared to the broken rotor and scored crankshaft you will likely end up with if you try to do the job without it.

Earl

Originally posted by lygandalf
    I am attempting to change the starter clutch on my 79
    gs 1000. I am having trouble finding a rotor removal tool or another way remove the rotor. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice. Thanks
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Just saw a NOS Suzuki Factory rotor-puller on fleabay....motorcycle parts>Suzuki GS1000
      Hugh

Comment

I'm not sure what size you need for your bike. There are 3 listings for a '79 on Dennis Kirk and they had a 35mm and a 38mm puller , but pricey When I was having problems with mine (the first time) I took the bike in the back of a truck to the local Suzuki dealer and he zipped it off in 2 sec (for free).

Welcome to the GSR \\/

For what its worth do yourself a favor and just buy a new unit to replace the old one...I did the replacing the springs and rollers route at first and it lasted about 5 starts.... the new one is rock solid
        Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2006, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Bought one for my GS1000 here in the UK cost me £50. Some people suggest using a wheel spindle to remove the rotor. On mine the shaft comes out from the rotor so I have to have the tool. Had to use a hot air gun to warm the spindle up to get the rotor off as it was so tight. Don't whatever use a three legged puller to get the rotor off other wise you will need a new rotor too. The puller distorts the rotor out of shape, it has to be pulled from the centre!

If you don't have a starter clutch look up Paul Miller Motorycles on ebay, he has one for sale.

Suzuki mad
          GS1000E 1981
          GSX1100ESD 1983 in a lot of bit's.

Comment

Working...
          X