Is My project crazy???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is My project crazy???

I plan to improve the braking performance of my bike (1979 GS 1000 G)by doing the following:
    - I already installed master cylinder of GSXR 2002,
    - I already installed braided steel lines.
    - I bought GSXR 2002 4 pistons brake calipers.
    - As they interfer with the wheel (touch the "spokes"), I plan to do:
    - spacer between the wheel and the disks as there is enough clearance
    between disk and fork legs (1 cm)
    - adaptation plate between fork legs and calipers.
    The shops I went to told me the effort on the spacer and the disk would make evrything not to work for more than 100 km.
    What do you think, Has someone already done this kind of transformation?
    Thank you.
    Olivier

traditionally people just swap in a whole gsxr front end, from triple trees to wheel, that way everything matches up right, but best of luck to you, you wild man you

Comment

im watching ebay for a complete front brake system, ill post info if i win.

Comment

You could try making an adaptor plate that bolts on to the orignal mounts, you then mount the calipers to the other side of the plate in line with your discs. it may require a bit of engineering but it does work. If you check out some Streetfighter sites you might be able to see a pic. of one.

Comment

This is exactly what I plan to do for the calipers, but the concern is not outside but that since it is 4 piston calipers (really wider), when centered on the disk the calipers interfer with the spokes of the wheel preventing it from turning. So the first thing I need to do If not crazy is to build plates to insert between disks and wheel to allow more space and the be able to put the calipers. Here is the question, I was told this plate would be very difficult to build and would make the disk to have distorsion. Is that true???
          Olivier

Comment

have you considered swapping to GSXR discs they may be more offset and solve your problem for you.
            Dink

Comment

Yes I considered that, but I would need exact offset and especially internal diameter to be sure they would fit...
              Thanks

Comment

rotor adapter

A spacer for the rotor would be very easy to make. It could be made from aluminum of the correct thickness. Send me the dimensions.

Kevan

Comment

Oliver,
                  Do you have the Nissin or Tokico calipers? I ask because I have a set of Tokico four pistons from a late nineties GSXR and I think they may be narrower than the Nissins. Might be interested in swapping if they will work for you. Dimension from centerline of pads to inside surface is 40mm.

Axel

Comment

Hello,
                    I checked but I also have the TOKICO calipers.
                    I was wondering, since our disks are non-floating disks, will the effort on the disks not be too strong and brake them??? Or the calipers as they are facing each other, will still be really centered on the disks?
                    Thanks
                    Olivier

Comment

Here are measurements from my '90 rotors. They are 310mm floaters. They are however held on by 5 bolts, not 6. The inside diameter of the rotor where it attaches to the hub is 63mm or 6.3 cm. They are 5mm thick and the offset from the hub surface to the outside of the rotor is 25 mm. Your big problem would be the different bolt pattern.

Comment

Us dragracers often have to make custom parts...invent our own solution if you will. I have machined caliper holders out of aluminum before, used spacers etc and have never had a problem with distortion from heat or speed, binding etc. It's not hard, go for it man.

Paul Jones

Comment

I don't think it will be a significant problem if the disks are not centered on the rotors with the 4 (or 6) piston caliphers. If one side of the calipher reaches the disk first it will apply a slight increased pressure to the piston on the other side, thereby centering automatically. As long as you are close to center you should be ok. The pads closest to the disk may wear faster.

Comment

My only concern would be the torque exerted on the spacer during a high speed application of the brake. The longer the bolt you use to hold the disk to the hub the higher the minute forces, which from my limited understanding of physics would cause the disk and the hub to gradually twist apart from each other. Check for offset disks, then you eliminate this force, or machine a bowl shaped spacer you bolt the disk to and then the spacer to the hub.

Comment

Working...
                            X